Recurring Global Notifications / Announcements

(3)

I would like to suggest the ability as an admin to create a recurring notification that will reappear after each login regardless if it is closed by the user. An always on feature for notifications.

I am aware that I can schedule global notifications, but I would like to not have to do it 75 times.

8 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @ballentinej . Global notifications last until the date set or a user closes them. Can you explain further what changes this idea is suggesting?

ballentinej
Community Member

I am suggesting that the notification pop up even if closed on a previous log in. In Florida we have been asked to publish the number for the department of children and families abuse line. The state would prefer it be on a log on screen, but my users are logged in via adfs and they won't see it there.

To solve this for now, I have created 30 or so notification to show up every day for the next 30 days and I'll make more if needed.

We have the ability to push a notification in classlink, but we hadn't fully rolled that out yet.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks, Jimmy, that extra information helps a lot! I would suggest editing the idea description to make that part clear ("even if closed on a previous log in"). Some ideas for you to consider right away that might help would be to add this information to the help menu (How do I customize the Canvas Help Menu for an account?) or add custom CSS/JS to your site's theme that includes this information (How do I upload custom JavaScript and CSS files to an account?). Other community members might have other ideas for how this information could be made available for users at all times as well.

ajs43
Community Member

I agree this would be a useful addition, especially since I am doing remote classes. I want to post an assignment reminder each week, but right now, I will have to keep reposting it. If I could schedule it to recur on certain days of the week, that would be a big help.

rkanka
Community Novice

I agree. Would love to make announcement 'every Thursday', for example

bryan_tayman
Community Explorer

Agree!   Recurring announcements would really help our students to remember to meet their daily attendance requirements during our current COVID distance learning & hybrid models.   

hvaughn
Community Contributor

Agree as well! I was just looking for a way to do this.  Our situation - We'd like to set a recurring Global announcement targeted to faculty regarding our open technology help sessions (like office hours) every Wednesday with the Zoom link for easy access. We'd like the announcement to post each Wednesday from 12am until 3pm.  Currently I am creating individual announcements and scheduling them ahead of time to post on specific dates. Since the information in the announcement doesn't change, it would be extremely helpful to be able to create the announcement once and set it to recur every Wednesday between specific times. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.