Resubmission should get rid of the paper picture on the gradebook

0 Likes
(1)

When a darling student decides to type "rAJFEAJHIEAWHw" and hit submit, and you have to go through the process of reassigning it, I no longer want to see the picture of the piece of paper on the grade book. 

Tags (2)
4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I'm a little confused. Are you referring to that little icon of a paper in the Gradebook column? Why not just give the darling student a 0 for the grade and be done with it? 

In cases like this, I wouldn't bother to "reassign" the assignment until the student contacts me and provides a reasonable explanation for the failed first attempt. 

James
Community Champion

Susan ( @SusanNiemeyer ), 

Putting a 0 in for the grade would remove the icon in the gradebook. This can be done whether or not the decision to reassign is made (I'm kind of with you on that one, but I teach in higher ed and things are sometimes different in K12). Not putting a 0 in for grades leads to students thinking they have a much higher grade than they really have.

That said, I can sort of understand the feature idea here. I had a student turn in an assignment in the wrong place this morning. She turned in last week's assignment (9 days late) for next week's assignment (5 days early). She already had a grade for the assignment she turned in, but now there is a submission for the one that most students won't start working on until Friday (that's when it's due).

I don't want to put a 0 in there, because it was an obvious goof on the student's part. Since it was an early submission, I want to give her the opportunity to resubmit.

I let her know that the assignment was the wrong assignment, but now I want it to disappear from the gradebook and from SpeedGrader so I don't have to keep looking at it as other students turn in the assignment (on time, this student will be late). Every time I go to SpeedGrader, I now how to remember that this is the wrong submission (it's a link to a page) or waste my time going to look at it.

I can tell Canvas to ignore the submission, but that doesn't change the icon in the gradebook and it still shows up in SpeedGrader as needing graded.

The only way to get that icon to disappear in the gradebook is to give her a grade for the submission. Right now, that means I had to give her a 0. I rationalize that this is what the grade is for the submission that she gave me, but it doesn't have to be the final grade (I allow multiple submissions). I also rationalize that the 0 serves as a wake-up call that something is wrong here and then maybe, just maybe, the student will go read the comments I left to see what is wrong.

Some schools (typically K12) don't allow instructors to put 0's in for students. I don't know how they handle the case when a student never submits work and a 0 is appropriate (maybe they have a rubric with a 1 as the lowest grade). In situations like this, the teacher would be prevented by school policy from putting in a 0 to hide the fact that the assignment needs graded.

Personally, I think students who submit something Kelly found deserve a 0. But I don't get to make grading policy decisions for anyone other than my own classes.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.