Reward System For Completing Work

0 Likes
(1)

To start, I'm a student. Many kids, including myself not too long ago, have struggled with motivation for completing their online school in a timely manner or even at all. I am suggesting that something gets added to when work is submitted in canvas, whether that be some sort of fun sound combined with animation or whatever the people working on canvas come up with. People who make lists about what they want to do are proven to be more likely to complete those tasks on the list then if those tasks weren't written down. I think in terms of the list part of things, Canvas' interface is fairly intuitive and helps people see what they need to accomplish. However, adding a little something to submitting work is extremely easy, but the effects could be more vast than one could imagine. The dopamine receptors in your brain happen to like checking something off a list, even more so when something is tied to that checking off the list (sound, tactile response, etc.). Something that gets kid's brains feeling more rewarded when they turn in work is, I think, a perfect low effort feature that could be added to canvas quite easily but would improve student engagement and increase the chances for kids to complete all of their work on a given day. It also helps increase the fluidity of the program when things like smooth animation or fun sounds get added instead of feeling like a frigid program that only responds to things correctly when they are done a certain way. Thanks for reading and I hope to see something like this in the future!

1 Comment
CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @TateStormes 

This is actually something that is available in Canvas already. You can find steps for enabling it here.

If this option isn't available to you, it hasn't been enabled by your school so reach out to them and ask them if they will enable it.

Cody