Rubric with various options to subtract points

0 Likes
(1)

I've integrated rubrics into my physics course to make things faster, but I still wish the rubrics were a bit more flexible.

For example, in one lab I ask them to make a graph and analyze it. Now if they blame 'human error' for the differences in data points, and just say that, then it's -0.5. If they make their graph in Excel or Google sheets then it's -1. So a student who did both of those things would get a 4.5/6. At this moment, however, I cannot add these two criteria up, I can only use one of them at a time.

Moreover, if a student did something off the rubric (my rubrics would be very long if we included everything, at this point we only include the most common mistakes), say had a super pixelated graph which is -1, then when a TA enters their grade as 5/6 the rubric automatically populates it as if the student used Google Sheets, for example. We have been leaving comments, but this is still rather confusing and if there was a way to stop that that would be lovely.

Thanks so much

Example rubric:

4: Graph and analysis
Graph angle vs time to point north in Python, using a different color for each setup. You can find helpful the code on Github.
Which needle is stronger, and how do you know? Are
your points the first time you tried the deflection the same as the second time you tried the same deflection for the same setup? Why or why not? (3-4 sentences)

6.0 pts
Full Marks

5.5 pts
Human error
Humans can often be a source of error, but describing one's total error as 'human error' does little to illuminate the subject. Humans can contribute error to a system, but it is not their mere presence, often, that causes that error. That error is contributed by a specific action, or lack of action of the operator and you should always be specific.

5.0 pts
Google sheets or Excel
If you do not wish to use Python you can use any other programming language (R, Matlab, C++, etc) you wish. You are not, however, allowed to use Excel or Google Sheets

5.0 pts
Missing title or axes labels
-1 for missing title or axes labels in your graph.

0.0 pts
No Marks

6.0 pts
Tags (3)
3 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

a1063023
Community Explorer

I would LOVE to be able to have negative marks for "compliance" issues when marking reports. E.g.:

Has table of contents: 0 marks
Missing table of contents: -5 marks

Has page numbers: 0 marks
Incorrect page number formatting: -3 marks
Missing page numbers: -5 marks

Etc. Sure, I have have a row currently that is "Meets formatting requirements" but it doesn't seem right that students get free marks for just hitting the bare requirements.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.