Saving a recorded Video: feedback desperately needed

(11)

I've been trying to integrate the media recording tool into assignments with my students, but have found a flaw that is significant enough that I will stop using the feature. There is no feedback from Canvas once you've clicked 'Save' as to the status of the upload. No matter how many times I tell my students that they need to wait patiently, that Canvas will eventually upload the video, my students think that the screen or task has gotten frozen.

There needs to be a 'percent completed' status bar that shows up once a student hits Save after recording a video assignment. That will save me (and the Technical Support team) hours of dealing with student problems and complaints.

6 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @pscassel . You are not alone on this and there are several related ideas open for voting along these lines that I would like to mention as well:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16353-display-upload-progress-percentage-for-audio-feedback" m...

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13695-display-file-upload-progress-bar-for-students-uploading-... 

dsibley
Community Member

2nded

j_avneri
Community Participant

When a student uses the Canvas inbuilt recorder to submit to a media recording assignment, when they click "save" it appears as if nothing happens but actually, in the background Canvas is uploading the recording as after a few minutes it will load the recording into the submission window. How long it takes to load depends on network speed, device performance, video length etc. however I think that the system should indicate to the user that clicking "save" is actually doing something rather than it appearing to do nothing. The student/user will think that nothing is happening and will likely close the recording window and lose their recording.

Note that the recording process is much better when using the rich content editor - for example if you use a quiz with an essay type question, students can use the Canvas inbuilt recorder in the rich content editor and when they click "save" it instantly loads a blank window into the answer box with a spinning circle, furthermore the message "the video will finish uploading once it has been processed" displays - this is confirmation to the user the clicking "save" is actually doing something.  

Suggestion: When the student/user clicks "save" after using the inbuilt recorder to submit to a media recording assignment, Canvas should instantly indicate to the student/user that it is taking action to upload the recording - just like when they click "save" for a recording using the rich content editor.

s_dougherty
Community Participant

Agree with all of the above, currently it is a poor user experience. 

When a student/user clicks "save" after using the inbuilt recorder to submit to a media recording assignment, Canvas should instantly indicate to the student/user that it is taking action to upload the recording. 

olsona
Community Participant

Not sure why I have not ran into this before, but I have had a faculty contact me about students experiencing this same issue. The experience of uploading videos to a discussion reply and to an assignment is different, but in both cases something is needed to indicate that the video is being processed/uploaded.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.