Standard Based Grading and Student Self Reflection

0 Likes

First, thank you for reading my ideas and I hope I am not the only one in need of these new features. At this time our district is working toward standard based grading and would like to see some new options for student self evaluations/rating scale 1-4 and an option for rubrics to be embedded for students to rate themselves. At this point Google Forms is the only option I use to have students rate themselves on a linear scale 1-4. I still have to add the rubric image for them to see and evaluate. This process is daunting to create and evaluate. My hope is that Canvas can create a feature that allows teachers to set up rating scales and self evaluative rubrics in Canvas since our grading sync is from Canvas to our school sis.

Thank you again for reading!

Jen Oney

Spanaway Lake High School

Bethel School District

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

Tags (2)
3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @JENNIFERONEY -

It's awesome to hear how teachers are encouraging students to practice self-evaluation and reflection. 😊

There is a long-existing Idea open, and I wonder if "Self Assessment" would align with what you'd like to do! If it would match what you're thinking, we can merge your idea with that one. That will streamline the discussion and help our Project Managers.

In the meantime, you could provide a set of rubric "criteria" for your students to copy and paste into a comment with their submission. They could fill in each part using the same rubric you do and possibly answer a reflective question. That would be an awesome way for you to form comments too since those would be there when you would provide your feedback.

ie:   Criteria 1     /10

Criteria 2     /5

Criteria 3     /5

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @JENNIFERONEY -

I'm checking back on this Idea. I hope you are doing well!

A few weeks ago, I shared some ideas, and I wonder what you think. If you could let the Community Team know how these align with your proposed Idea, that would be really helpful. We know life can get busy, yet if we don't hear from you by March 25, we will archive this thread so we can better focus on current requests. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived