Student's Name

(1)
Before the interface changed (At the beginning of the school year) a student's name would appear at the top of the screen.  This was a nice easy way to identify a student if you were standing behind them in class.  Would it be possible to add their name under their profile picture?
45 Comments
szabarovska
Community Contributor

@kenneth_larsen ​

Is this still true:

If you want to add an additional logout link into the left navigation for the new UI you can use the following function in your global JavaScript file:

function addMenuItem (linkText, linkhref, icon) {

'use strict';

var iconHtml = '',

itemHtml,

linkId = linkText.split(' ').join('_');

if (icon !== '') {

iconHtml = '<i class=" + icon + "></i> ';

}

itemHtml = '<li class="ic-app-header__menu-list-item ">' +

'  <a id="global_nav_' + linkId + '" href="' + linkhref + '" class="ic-app-header__menu-list-link">' +

'       <div class="menu-item__text">' + iconHtml + linkText + '</div>' +

'  </a>' +

'</li>';

$('#menu').append(itemHtml);

}

Then to add a logout link (or any other link) simply add:

addMenuItem('Logout', '/logout', 'icon-off');

The disclaimer I would add is that the left navigation is not designed to scroll. If you make it longer than a user's screen dimensions, then anything below that will not be visible.

***I'm not able to find the global JavaScript. Any help would be great.

kenneth_larsen
Community Champion

@szabarovska ​,

Most of that entry is still true. The only change is that the left navigation was updated so that it will scroll if needed.

You upload a global JavaScript file in the Theme Editor for a Canvas account or sub-account. You can find out more by reading How do I upload custom JavaScript and CSS files to an account or sub-account?​. 

szabarovska
Community Contributor

@kenneth_larsen ​

I'm going to be honest, JavaScript is not my strongest language..I've tried several times and several ways to upload that script to the theme editor but it will not work. Any recommendations?

kenneth_larsen
Community Champion

A couple of questions:

1. Is this at the root account or a sub-account?
  2. Do you have any JavaScript at the account level or is this the first?
szabarovska
Community Contributor

Root account and we do have Java Script in the root account level.

Sent from my iPhone

kenneth_larsen
Community Champion

So, did you add the code above to that JavaScript file and it is not working?

szabarovska
Community Contributor

Correct.

Sent from my iPhone

kenneth_larsen
Community Champion

Then most likely you have an error in the JavaScript that appears before that code so the code is not actually running. If you want to send me a copy of your JavaScript file, I can take a look and see if I can figure out what is wrong.

szabarovska
Community Contributor

That sounds good the only thing is I’m not sure how to send it privately?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You should be able to go to Kenneth's profile page in the Community (found here -->  @kenneth_larsen ) and then if you don't see the "Message" option, you might need to "Follow" him first (see buttons boxed in red below).

profile.png

szabarovska
Community Contributor

Thank you!

szabarovska
Community Contributor

I'm following him but I do not see the Message option.

Snip20160518_25.png

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ok, next option, in this forum mouse over  @kenneth_larsen ​'s name somewhere where it's highlighted or on one of his posts. You should then get a pop-up box and the Message option.

MessageTake2.png

John_Lowe
Community Champion

You can only message someone who you follow AND who follows you.  So unless Kenneth follows you, you won't be able to message him.

szabarovska
Community Contributor

Thank you.

John_Lowe
Community Champion

@szabarovska ​, this is how they keep people like me from messaging hundreds of people trying to beg them to vote for this Feature Idea -- .  (btw, please vote for this feature idea)  Smiley Wink

szabarovska
Community Contributor

I completely understand. Smiley Happy

szabarovska
Community Contributor

@kenneth_larsen ​

Thank you so much for all your help!! It worked Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Just for information's sake, if a student creates a nickname for a course, you can view the actual name of the course in the course card by hovering over the nickname. Additionally, the course code also displays and cannot be changed.

Thanks,

Erin

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We are looking into what it would take to get this done. It has been added to the list for our UI team to research. Disclaimer: just because it has been added to our list doesnt necessarily mean it will be worked on. What it means is that our team will look at it in greater details from the engineering stand point. Depending on what they find, we will make a decision. Stay tuned for further updates.