Use template or import file to generate structured e portfolios.

(2)
Idea is currently in development

We work with about 1000 pre-service teaching students a semester while they are in their field experience or internships. We are currently using iWebfolio, and can have students generate portfolios using pre-built templates. Canvas would be a great environment for our students, but we foresee problems with them building out their portfolio sections. Please incorporate a feature that allows students to use a template to build their portfolios (or import a file that we have generated) so that they can focus on populating sections with content, rather than focusing on building the required, structured sections.

28 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

glee4
Community Member

It would also be great if we could make and distribute portfolios that represent outcomes/standards to all students on the back end. Then teachers could insert representative work into the ePortfolio. Currently, the ePortfolio model would not work effectively for K-5 environment.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

We've received requests from users in our district for an ePortfolio tool for elementary students and Language Arts courses across grade level. They want a tool that integrates with Canvas so students can drop in their existing assignments. I haven't been able to find any external tools that have this functionality and are appropriate for elementary-aged students. Most of the tools seem to be setup to help higher ed students demonstrate job readiness skills. The existing ePortfolio has many shortcomings, one of which is the lack of structure students have in creating a portfolio. Allowing teachers or schools to create a template that could be initiated from a course or by an account admin would help provide structure and uniformity to class portfolios. There are a number of questions, conversations, and feature requests in the Community, but when you search Canvas Studio, there's no past or present work that's been done to improve the ePortfolio feature. Paper portfolios are widely used in K12, it's really a shame that Canvas isn't improving its digital portfolio tool for users.

sfowler
Community Explorer

A template for e-portfolio would allow for more wide-spread adoption among students as it would make it easier for faculty to assist them in creating it. Building content in Canvas is something teachers are trained to do, but training students takes extra time away from regular studies.

There is already an export tool in e-portfolio. Our needs would be met if students were able to import that export into their own e-portfolio.

sbevier
Community Participant

Has there been any movement in this? I need 400 sophomores to create an ePortfolio with very rigid instructions. It would be so much more successful if could create a template with the sections and instructions and just allow the students to add in their Canvas submissions. I'm afraid I'm going to have a mess on my hands.

epulham
Community Contributor

Yet another vote from me to see this feature -- this would be amazing to have pre-built templates!! We have a lot of hands-on programs at our Tech college and students already usually build portfolios of some kind, but we don't want to overcomplicate their lives by having them take hours to build a portfolio. Might go with a Google Doc template instead.

carcha
Community Member

It would be helpful to have Canvas admins upload a template into the EPortfolio system that could then be used by the entire school or a series of classes.    The manual creation of the portfolio outline/template is cumbersome and limits ease of use.  

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

This idea is In Development. Continue to follow this thread for updates.