View Only Option for Assignments as a permission for Observers

0 Likes

Is there any way that we can have a permission that would allow us to assign Observers the ability to see assignments in a "View Only" format?

Tags (1)
5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! That's an interesting question, and I'd like to know more.

Any time an activity is assigned to a student, their paired observer can see the assignment as well. They can't submit or interact with it, but they can see the instructions, associated files, and then the submission too. (Just not in the Canvas Parent app).

What do you hope to do with the assignments and your Observers?

elarsen
Community Member
Author

On the admin side, it was not showing this as a permission that was available to Observers. After demoing it with a couple people, I do see now that they are able to see. Again, my confusion came on the admin side as it did not implicitly state in the permissions that an Observer would be able to see those items as it only listed, "Announcements" and "Discussions" as allowed. I suspected that they could see more as student permissions on the admin side appeared that what they could view was less than reality on their dashboard. 

Thanks for your response. I will remember this on the app side for the Canvas Parent app. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

dphillips1010
Community Explorer

We would love this feature as it would allow case managers who work with students to monitor grade check the assignments but do not need the ability to edit the assignments.