Whiteboard for Submissions

(1)

The option for students submit their work/drawings via a whiteboard would be great!  Math Teachers, Primary teachers, and Art Teachers would greatly benefit from this option.

9 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@chara_harris ‌

I have some questions on logistics here.  By whiteboard, are you talking about an interactive white board or tablet of some kind?

Or would students be taking a picture and uploading the picture?

chara_harris
Community Novice

Hi Renee!

Yes, I am talking about an interactive whiteboard where students can show work and then submit to their teacher.

Here's an example: https://awwapp.com/ 

My ask is if something like this could be built into Canvas as opposed to using the External Tool submission option. I hope that makes sense.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Yes!  I can see where this would be a very cool option.  Is this the whiteboard that you like to work with most?  If so, have you considered reaching out to them to ask if they would create an LTI for Canvas?  

chara_harris
Community Novice

Hi Renee,

Great idea! I will look into that!

However, the ideal would be to have a whiteboard or a drawing option as a submission type for an assignment.

jwelchans
Community Member

I can see how this would be a useful assignment type.  Could be popular with elementary schools also.

I agree that an LTI or ability to embed might be a workaround for now.

Thanks!

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

This would be an excellent feature. We have Office365 integration and it is possible to do with the Cloud Assignment feature and a SurfacePro with stylus but would be great to have native functionality through the Rich Content Editor.

Would also be good to be able to mark students work using a stylus on DocViewer (as you could on Crocadoc). My suggestion for this is - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8810-use-of-stylus-with-docviewer

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi - do you know how useful AWWapp is after the 14 day free trial with all the features ends?

elena1_calebro
Community Novice

As an beginning elementary art teacher (both to teaching as well as Canvas), I have been wondering if there were any apps or features that could be used in submitting Art assignments (outside of just uploading a photo of their work) into Canvas. A Whiteboard app or something similar would be great to incorporate as a easily accessible feature that a teacher could use, rather than having to go through External Apps or having to search for a link to embed.  I am sure Classroom teachers could use this as well, particular in Math, when the students need to show their work in order to answer the problem. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.