Impact Release Notes (2023-09-20)
In this Impact release, new content for the Support Center, Campaigns, and Walkthroughs are available. An updated feature is included for Blackboard Learn Ultra Walkthroughs. Accessibility updates are implemented for the Support Center modal, Messages within the Learning Management System, Impact Dashboard: Messages page, Walkthroughs, Impact Dashboard: Support Center, Campaigns, Insights, Inline Editor, Routing and Availability, and Support Articles.
Impact helps institutions improve technology adoption and evaluate the impact of educational technology, while helping faculty and students seamlessly navigate new platforms. Learn more about Impact by Instructure.
New Getting Started Guides for the Out of the Box Impact Support Center
Note: These articles will only appear if users haven’t made any local changes to the Get Started category.
Translated Canvas Community Guides
All existing translations of the Canvas Community Guides that live inside the Impact Support Center have been checked and updated where necessary, across all languages. The content team is working on adding any new translation which will be available in the next release.
Canvas Release of September 16th 2023
An instructor and student campaign can be launched from the Impact Dashboard to provide users with the latest updates to Canvas.
General Accessibility Campaign: Instructors
|Template Preview||Accessibility in a Canvas Course|
Raise instructors' awareness around the importance of accessibility and help guide them in creating more accessible content in their courses by running the campaign General Accessibility Campaign.
Add Event to Calendar Walkthrough
Encourage Instructors and Students to stay organized by launching this step-by-step guide to creating calendar events.
Weight Assignment Groups Walkthrough
|Template Preview||Walkthrough: Weight Assignment Groups|
Walk Instructors through the process of Weighting Grades so higher levels of academic accomplishment are recognized by launching the Weighted Assignments Group Walkthrough.
Blackboard Learn Ultra Walkthroughs
The Blackboard Ultra Walkthroughs checkboxes display appropriately and messages are hidden when in build mode/editor.
Support Center Modal
The following accessibility updates have been implemented in the Support Center modal:
- Focus contrast displays appropriately.
- Each table row has been converted into a single link, and tab movement now maintains a single focus per article.
- Keyboard-only and Screen Reader focus is contained within the modal.
- When users complete a search, the Screen Reader informs them that the search is complete.
- The search results modal page now includes a heading.
- Screen Reader users receive notifications when the Support Center modal is closed.
- Keyboard-only users’ focus now displays appropriately for the Yes/No buttons in the ‘Was This Article Helpful’ section.
- Screen Reader and Keyboard-only users can navigate the options list with both tab and arrow keys.
Messages within the Learning Management System
The following accessibility updates have been implemented to messages within the Learning Management System:
- Keyboard-only users’ focus is restricted to scrollable messages exclusively.
- The ‘Don’t Show This Again’ icon is marked as decorative and not accessible to Screen Reader users.
- Screen Reader users can close all message types using the ESC key.
- Pop-up messages now display the appropriate Aria attribute.
- Systray message titles have been set as H2 labels.
- After Keyboard-only users press the Enter key for the ‘Go to Hint’ button, the focus is shifted to the first interactive element within the hint, which is the Close button.
- The ‘Close’ button in hint messages now displays the appropriate Aria attribute.
Impact Dashboard: Messages Page
The following accessibility update has been implemented to the Messages page within the Impact Dashboard:
- The ‘helpitem’ details and Filters drop-down buttons now display appropriately for Keyboard-only and Screen Reader users.
The following accessibility updates have been made to Walkthroughs:
- Screen Reader users' focus is contained within the Walkthrough confirmation modal
- Screen Reader and Keyboard-only users can navigate events on every screen when a new screen loads or new content is loaded.
- Step moving drag-and-drop options are replaced with the Move Up/Down buttons for Keyboard-only and Screen Reader users.
Impact Dashboard: Support Center
The following accessibility updates have been implemented to the Support Center page within the Impact Dashboard:
- The ‘Any Learning Application’ selector tooltip is now read by the Screen Reader.
- Keyboard-only and Screen Reader shortcuts have been added to each section, allowing users to review selections/layouts before proceeding to the next design section. Tooltips have also been included, and Keyboard-only and Screen reader users can now add elements using the Enter/Space keys.
- On the Design page, the tooltip texts are now read by the Screen Reader.
The following accessibility updates have been implemented to the Campaigns page:
- The Campaigns Templates pagination displays appropriately.
- Frames on buttons when Keyboard-only users are navigating throughout the page display appropriately.
- When adding a campaign, the Individual Users drop-down menu is accessible to Screen Reader users.
The following accessibility updates have been implemented to the Insights page:
- Screen readers read all tooltip contents on the Insights pages.
- Keyboard-only users can switch the reporting type using either the Tab button or keyboard navigation buttons.
The following accessibility updates have been implemented to the Inline Editor:
- Keyboard-only and Screen Reader users can navigate through the Inline Editor appropriately.
- After users close the ‘create helpitem’ section, the Keyboard-only focus is shifted to the bottom Inline Editor bar.
- The Screen Reader announces the H2 tag for the Content Library even when it remains hidden visually.
Routing and Availability
The following accessibility updates have been implemented to the Routing and Availability page:
- The Weekday drop-down menu is accessible to Screen Reader users.
The following accessibility updates have been implemented to the Support Articles page:
- On the Create Support Article page, the Screen Reader focus is on the selected date.
- Conditions for mobile contexts are now correctly displayed on the View Context page.
- In Campaigns, the Add Existing Item to Campaign modal orders appropriately when tabbing.