Turnitin LTI App in Canvas: Teacher & Student Onboarding

clong
Community Champion

It feels like preparing your Tax return! No one looks forward to doing it, but it sure is nice to have it done – especially if you get a refund. So it is with switching over from the legacy Turnitin API integration (to be deprecated by the end of 2016) to the new Turnitin LTI integration. As a Canvas Admin, configuring the switch over is actually pretty easy and takes just a few minutes. The real challenge is  explaining how this change will affect the workflow of your teachers and students.

First off, I have to let you know about the Canvas and Turnitin​ blog post  @dhulsey ​ has crafted! It has nearly everything, anyone would need to know about making the switch over and he does an amazing job keeping that up to date while responding to a variety of questions and what if scenarios! I wanted to add to the effort by making a simple getting started guide and video that highlights the basics and shows both the teacher and student perspectives. So , I read Dallas' blog post at least three times and tested out a variety of scenarios, just to be sure I understood the nuances of how the new LTI integration works. Once I was comfortable with this, I took a bunch of screenshots with Snagit​ and pasted them into a shared Google Presentation then added some annotations to each slide. I call this a slide guide. It give you a quick visual of what you need to know, but then I expanded on it by making a screencast of me going through the slides and elaborating on them. For that I make sure my Google slides are displayed so they are 1280 x 720 pixels. I do this by dragging the browser window so that the slides are the same size as this 720p graphic I made. Then I use ScreenFlow to record the screencast and upload it to YouTube. Below are the finished products I just sent out to our teachers. Please feel free to share them and/or make a copy of the slides to use with your staff.

If these are helpful to you, I'd love to hear your feedback and I'd really appreciate it if you would take a moment to look at ​ and if you like it, please VOTE it UP Smiley Wink

9 Comments