cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhenson
Community Contributor

Google Drive icon missing in RCE

We have Google Apps turned on for our whole institution and can see Google Drive in the Navigation menu of all our courses, but the Google Drive icon is missing from the Rich Content Editor on everything (Assignments, Pages, etc.).  I am wanting to embed Google Docs into a Page and/or Assignment and that icon would be much easier to do this.  I have tried coping the embed code from Google, but it moves around any images that I have on the document.  If I simplify the embed code (<iframe src="SHARE LINK"></iframe>), it embeds everything including the google menu items. 

Is there another way to embed Google Docs into Canvas that I am missing?

Tags (1)
8 Replies
lhenson
Community Contributor

Upon further investigation, we do have the Google Drive icon, but you can't see it.  Found it by hovering over a blank space in the RCE. Ugh!

It does include the entire google menu when it embeds, but this is tons faster than trying to grab embed codes. Is there a change that I can make in the HTML code that will take out the google menu and keep the images in their place?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @lhenson ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since June 7, 2018.  Thanks for providing the extra update that you were able to find the "hidden" Google Drive icon.  Have you been able to get this resolved so that the icon shows back up in your RCE?  If so, what was the solution?  Also, have you tried reaching out to the Canvas Help Desk staff to see if they might be able to help you?  If so, what was the outcome of that conversation?  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

lhenson
Community Contributor

We are still having the same issue. I have attached a screenshot of what

it looks like on the RCE. We have learned to work around it, but I wish it

would be resolved. When you hover over the space where we should see the

Google Apps icon, the title of the icon does show up.

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 2:52 PM chofer@morainepark.edu <

lph
Community Champion

Hi  @lhenson ,

By chance, has an admin tried to delete the app then reinstall it?

lhenson
Community Contributor

Actually no. I will try that and see if it helps.

lph
Community Champion

Let us know. Hopefully this will fix the issue. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lhenson ...

I thought that I would check in with you one more time.  lph had suggested to maybe try deleting and re-installing the app to your Canvas instance.  Do you know if your local Canvas administrator did that?  If so, what were the end results?  Would you mind sharing that back here in the Community?

Tech0824
Community Member

Hi All,

The Drive icon is still 404 yet O365 icon is good, Can this not be fixed? The icon graphic is missing for Drive in the RCE bar.

Google Drive Icon is broken
https://google-drive-lti-pdx-prod.instructure.com/assets/google_drive_icon-ba12a17e3e3d7f70f910b17f1...

Office 365 Icon works
https://office365-pdx-prod.instructure.com/images/office365_icon.png

Thanks,