cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhenson
Community Contributor

Teachers as Observer of specific students

Our special education teachers are needing to 'observe' specific students in Canvas and view their assignments/quizzes.  I created a new Advisory role for teachers, but this gives them rights to all students and courses. I am a little concerned with FERPA compliance by giving these teachers access to everything.  I can make them Observers in specific courses, but it would be easier for the teachers to view the information by student rather than have a list of hundreds of courses.  Is there any other way to set them up to accomplish this goal? 

Tags (1)
14 Replies
tross
Community Champion

We have been looking at this.  We agree that the longer you use canvas, the bigger this issue.  We are considering adding a user defined field in our SIS and then sending them up in our file as observers.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Our SIS is Synergy (and our in between is Clever).     Would love to know what you come up with !

I'm not very technical with this area of things -- but can share with that staff.   Thanks!

@joseph_allen ‌,

I would second the comments by @jcrawford - folks in my district would also love to see the process you went through to create this dashboard as well.

JolieBeth23
Community Member

I got to this topic by searching for a similar solution here in 2021. At my school, we each are advisors to a small group of students, and it's driving us crazy in Canvas that we don't have an easy way to do grade checks/missing assignment checks for our advisees, one of our roles as advisors. We previously used Blackbaud as our grade book and had one button we could click to pull up a fast report on all our advisees' grades and missing assignments. There seems to be no easy solution in Canvas, and in the K-12 environment, is a necessity. 

brianne_loomis
Community Participant

Also looking for a solution... 

We tried using an observer account tied to a specific student last year, but it is not a good solution. Not only time consuming to set up, but also ran into privacy issues this year when the teacher was still observing a past student. There is no (easy) way to remove a student from an observer account.  This year, I offered the observer by course so the permissions end at the end of year.  This is really only good for 1-1 support, not full case loads.

I would be interested as well in any solutions and to learn more about @joseph_allen's solution!  We sync daily from SIS (PowerSchool), but would be willing to learn about csv uploads if that makes this work.