cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Canvas in K-5 !?!

How do you feel about using Canvas in elementary?

I was using Google classroom on the daily basics. I liked it. My 3rd graders liked it... But.. I still wasn't satisfied . I was looking for something that will help me to teach effectively in the diverce classroom. How to meet the needs of each student where they are at for an English Learner, Special Ed. and Gifted students as well? 

One day I went on the professional training and heard about Canvas. That was class "Canvas in Elementary" (from UEN). That day has changed a lot in my teaching and tranformed my classroom. 

I use Canvas to empower, engage, assess and support my students in variety of ways creating meaningful and memorable learning experience for all students. Besides, I use Canvas pages as my lesson plans including the learning objectives, sets of differentiated activities, and assessments . I  am able to design lessons that benefit each of my student.

By using Canvas I meet my students on least three  different levels of instructions: Whole class rotation (on project based learning), Small group rotation (targeting the misconceptions, re-teach and scaffolding up), and individual Self-Paced learning using Quizez and Quizzez.Next based on Mastery Pathes.

Canvas Discussions benefit ESL, Special Ed. and  shy students, who are not feeling comfortable speaking on from of large audience. However, they enjoy creating the Video and Audio responces which helps them later  in face-to-face discussion.I use Canvas Discussions as a tool to activate students' background knowelege, as an attention grabber to introduce a new topic or a concept, and as a self-assessment, or quick exit-ticket.

I really believe that using Canvas in Elementary will transform your  classroom, help students to think critically and deepen their understanding of a learning content.

Follow the link to watch the video from my classroom: UEN PDTV: Canvas in Elementary Schools - YouTube 

Sighlent screencast of some Elementary Canvas classes Requires Password 

Password: canvas

Also, I've explaind how to use tree-tabs page on Canvas and Edpuzzle Videos to set up a differentiated assessment/assignment for students Canvas in Elementary

Tags (2)
22 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Make sure to follow bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au‌ who has written some great posts on K5 Canvas use.

I wrote this post a while back when we introduced Canvas to our Year 6 students (Year 5 in US I think?) Introducing Canvas to Junior Schools - Page Design, Badging, Portfolios and H5P

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

olena.bradford@jordandistrict.orgit was so refreshing to hear a real story of Canvas being used in a K-6 classroom. You use it in all sorts of creative ways and you are aware of the huge potential within it for differentiating - brilliant! 

Thanks for sharing the video. It was great to step into another classroom and see Canvas in action. 

Thanks Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nlfor the mention. It was a cool way to meet Olena. You've shared some pretty cool stuff too. I enjoy hearing about what you are up to. 

Highlighted

Bobby,

Thank you! for the kind words! It means a lot for me. In our scholl I'm only a teacher who is using Canvas. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Gideon,

Thank you for sharing with me the awesome example of highly effective instructional design that targets pedogogy, content and technology goals. 

It's very important for me to see different appoaches of using Canvas effectively to reach all of the students.

Your desighn is perfect !

I'm very crateful for your input.

It's very easy for me as a teacher to stuck just with one model, there so many necessary things we have to do in school, teacher's focus is always on the content. There's almost no time to think about the instructional design of the course, and see different possibilities to reach the content goal in more effective way.

We need people like you, and your great ideas!

Highlighted

Many of my ideas are borrowed from other great teachers and learners!

My instructional design motto is to engage (sort of). I try to avoid lots of lists of files and make as much use as I can of pages and embedding. H5P is wonderful for this as are many other quizzing/interaction tools. Have a look at Embedding Web 2.0 Tools‌ post which lists a few of my favourites.

If there is anything I can do to help don't hesitate to get in touch. Absolutely sure that is the same for bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au‌ (even though I did not check first :O) )

Highlighted

More than happy to help Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl‌.

olena.bradford@jordandistrict.orgit looks like you have overcome the first hurdle and just got started. You found a purpose, then you found another one. It slowly builds until something magic happens and the kids start offering ideas for how the online environment can work. I love that evolution.

Most of all it looks like Canvas hasn't become your slave. Don't be a slave to your LMS. Make it work for you.  

Here are a few ideas that might take you further:

Assessment and the Little People 

Differentiation and Personalised Learning 

What's on your plate? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12/blog/2019/03/13/the-pen-is-mightier-than-the-sword-teachi... 

Sing out if you ever need a hand. 

Highlighted

Gideon,

Embedding Web 2.0 Tools post is so powerful! Thank you for sharing it with me. It will save me a lot of time on research.

I'm sure I'll ask you more questions when I begin designing "missions" for my students.

I am very grateful for your help and support.

Highlighted

Bobby,

I appereciate the great list of resouces you've provided  and being supportive of me! 

You are right. I'm using Canvas because it works out for me to reach the goals I have. Like Gideon, I think about students' engagement, how to motivate them and revord their learning. It shouldn't be boring, or discuraging. My another pedogogical goal is differentiation and personalizing learning. We are all different, and need to be taught differently. I think, Canvas is one of the greatest tools to utilize UDL principals.

By the way, how do you add hashtgs on the post for the referencing? :smileyplain:I don't know how to do it.

Highlighted

I take my hat off to you and all you are striving to do olena.bradford@jordandistrict.org.

Here's a guide to help you tag people https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14884-75187841170