Kaltura Media and the Old LMS > New LMS

benjamin_rodrig
Community Contributor

Hello all,

I'm just curious if anyone in the group has worked on migrating courses that rely heavily on Kaltura media to Canvas. It doesn't appear to be something that a standard export/import job can handle.

If you've transferred courses with Kaltura media from one system to Canvas - what approach did you take?

Any suggestions or past experiences would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Ben

6 Comments
szahourek
Community Member

Hello Ben,

I was wondering if you found any solutions/ answers.

Thanks!

-Stef

benjamin_rodrig
Community Contributor

Hi  @szahourek ,

I posted this a while back, and now that I'm looking at it, I hope that the ">" in the title didn't imply that I think the old LMS is greater than Canvas. Smiley Happy I meant it as a clever? way to express migrating one to the other.

With the many projects we have going on in this transitional period, we have not had a lot of time to dedicate to this particular aspect of it.

What I can say, is:

• The Kaltura folks set up a Canvas category for us in the KMC (Kaltura Management Console).
  • We went into a course in Canvas and manually added a video using the Kaltura Media Gallery LTI.
  • That triggered a new category to be created in the KMC under Canvas that was named after the Course ID.
  • We did manage to use the KMC to copy about 40 entries from one of the old LMS categories over to that new course category on the Canvas side.
  • We also had luck generating some playlists in the KMC and embedding those in a few courses. 

I suspect there are better ways to go about in doing this.

We are trying to schedule a talk with Kaltura in the not too distant future. We'll ask them how to copy over many many Media Galleries and many many more instructor owned My Media, and Shared Repository libraries.

I'll post back here when we finally get our heads wrapped around it.

Ben

szahourek
Community Member

Thank you, Ben, for the quick reply!  

I did not take the ">" as a value judgment.

Yes, please keep me posted on how your institution best moved Kaltura links/ videos to Canvas.

Thanks again!

-Stefanie

szahourek
Community Member

Hello Ben,

I wanted to check-in and see if you found a solid migration strategy.

Thanks!

-Stef

benjamin_rodrig
Community Contributor

Hi  @szahourek ,

Thanks for following up!

We've actually had some luck. My colleague,  @daniel_thompson ‌ has been doing a lot of good work in the Kaltura Management Console (KMC).

The admins at Kaltura helped us with the integration in a few ways, one of which was by creating a separate Canvas top-level "category" in the KMC alongside the Blackboard top-level category. They were a really big help.    

Since then there are two general situations we've encountered, Migrating Media Galleries (videos for a particular course) and My Media (video owned by a particular user).

Media Galleries

Here's how we migrate a Media Gallery:

1. Create a Canvas course shell,
  2. Add a Channel for the shell in the KMC by manually triggering its Media Gallery by clicking the Media Gallery link in the course navigation.
  3. In the KMC find the corresponding Media Gallery and add the newly created Canvas Channel as a Category to all the Media Gallery's entries.
  4. When you go back to that course in Canvas, the associated Media Gallery will be there.

*The Media Gallery will be available in both LMSs.

My Media

Our situation with My Media may be different than with other institutions. Kaltura uses the Canvas Login ID to identify owners of video entries. This wouldn't normally be a problem, however, the university switched to a different Student Information System and Identity Management system about two years ago. The result was a change in our community's usernames. So the usernames that Kaltura uses for Bb are different from what it uses for Canvas in most cases.

For that reason, we have one of two options to migrate My Media for instructors. 

• Change ownership of video entries for our instructors, or
  • Use the Co-Editor feature to allow the instructor to access the videos in both locations (with a minor caveat).

Changing ownership means that the instructor can only access their My Media via Canvas. It will no longer show up in Bb. We would just swap out the owners Bb username for Canvas' Login ID.

Using the Co-Editor feature means that we can have the same instructor access their video in both LMSs. However, the account that becomes the Co-Editor needs to take a few extra steps to post videos in the LMS than the owner does. We're considering assigning the Bb username as the Co-Editor and the Canvas Login ID as the owner to ease the transition.

That's a lot of info. I hope it doesn't seem too convoluted. It took a while to work out the details.

Thanks again. Please let us know if you've made any discoveries. We got a lot done, but are always learning and looking for new and better ways to work in the LMS.

-Ben

szahourek
Community Member

Thank you, Ben!  This is excellent!  I appreciate your thorough response.