Cloze Math (Alg. II)

Brushami
Community Member

I have been tasked this year with using Mastery Tracker and Mastery Connect to create assessments in my classes.  I am currently teaching Algebra Functions & Data Analysis along with Algebra II.  I typically create questions that are either short-answer fill-in-the-blank or open ended (essay) type questions where the students have to type in an appropriate equation based on transformations (vertex form) or show three to four steps when solving/factoring problems.

My question is this:  Why is the Math Cloze questions unable accept responses such as "All Real Numbers" or "{y|y<=9}"?

I have tested this idea with the Math Cloze builder and have switched the dropdown of 'equivSymbolic', 'equivLiteral', 'stringMatch', and all other options, but those two previously mentioned answers fail to generate a correct response when those responses are given as a viable response.

I do have a work-around for this situation by utilizing 'Cloze Text', but just like I typed in my question, the set-builder notation ends up looking like old Unix code.  Now that I halfway understand what Math Cloze cannot do, I can adjust my questions accordingly.  It would be nice, though, if anything and everything within a Mathematics course could be filtered through a Math Cloze type of problem.  I try to avoid matching and multiple choice like it is the plague.  For me, having the students type in certain things is a better indicator of comprehension than drag/drop and/or guess.

One final thought, 'Essay With Rich Text' there is an option the 'stem' to use 'Add Math (LaTeX/MathML) for the teachers to use in creating the stem/question.  Would it be possible to get the same button on the Rich Text portion that students utilize?  Doing so would allow for students to type mult-step problems a bit easier.  They are also used to that type of functionality from the Canvas tests/quizzes that utlize the 'square root of x' button to get into the equation editor.

Respectfully,

A.B.

0 Likes