cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Issue Migrating Imported Exam (w/Question Banks) to New Quiz Format

Jump to solution

For our online campus to transition to New Quizzes, we will need to create new courses rather than flipping the switch in the midst of a live course. But I am encountering an error when I import a classic quiz (with question banks) into a new course then migrate the quiz to the New Quizzes format.  The question banks/item banks get renamed and then I'm told there are 0 questions in the item bank (see below screenshots)

Is anybody else having this issue or figured out how to workaround this?

Migrated New Quiz from Classic Quiz in another course.png

In the below screenshot, "Final Exam -" gets appended to the item bank name!

Importing Question Banks.png

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @canvas_admin -- After further consultation, the issue you are experiencing is due to the bulk migration tool that is still in beta. Please refer to the Transparency Timeline for more information on when this will come into Production.

View solution in original post

bdye
Community Participant
I've been unable to find bulk migration listed in the transition timeline. Is it part of the Quiz building API ?
This is the biggest roadblock we have to migrate over to new quizzes.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
mskoch
Community Participant

As far as I know this function is only available in the Beta environment right now - I have not seen any news about this being released to production. 

Beta Release Notes: New Quizzes Migration (2021-12-22) 

I have been able to migrate questions copied into question groups as inline questions in Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes as item banks in production, however. In my test the resulting item banks' names are a combination of the quiz's name and the question group's name.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @canvas_admin -

The Community Team collaborated with the Product Team, and it was recommended that you submit a ticket so the engineers can take a closer look at what you're experiencing. We appreciate you bringing this to the attention to others in the New Quizzes Hub, and we hope that you're able to share back what you learned!

How do I contact Canvas Support? 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @canvas_admin -- After further consultation, the issue you are experiencing is due to the bulk migration tool that is still in beta. Please refer to the Transparency Timeline for more information on when this will come into Production.

@KristinL thank you so much for your time and helping me better understand what is going on! I look forward to this tool eventually being in production.

Mark James
Canvas Admin // Instructional Designer
Reformed Theological Seminary

0 Kudos
bdye
Community Participant
I've been unable to find bulk migration listed in the transition timeline. Is it part of the Quiz building API ?
This is the biggest roadblock we have to migrate over to new quizzes.
sharris
Community Participant

Same here. Bulk migration of classic quiz question banks is all that's preventing us from finishing out migration to NQ. We are in limbo without that feature being pushed to PROD.