Mastery question for quizzes

Jump to solution
BetsyWilkinson
Community Member

I want a test question type that I will call a mastery question. This kind of question will allow me to randomize the input numbers so that the answer can be calculated by Canvas but will be different every time for every student.

For example, ...
If I want to test that students know that the sum of the three angles in any triangle is 180 degrees then I would have Canvas randomize a variable 'A' (I could tell Canvas to generate a whole number between 20 and 50) and a variable 'B' (I could tell Canvas to generate a whole number between 50 and 90). Then the answer could be automatically calculated by Canvas as '180 - A - B'.

Students could answer this question only if they understood the principle but could test their knowledge using the same question an unlimited number of times. That is because the first time they are asked the question: "What is the third angle of a triangle if the first angle is 32 degrees [random number generated for 'A'] ad the second angle is 76 degrees [input random number generated for 'B']? The correct answer would be calculated by Canvas as 72 degrees (180-32-76 = 72). If the student did not enter the correct answer they would get feedback reminding them of what they need to know then they could get the same question again but with different numbers.

I want to use this for a math review test that should evaluate the students' readiness for moving forward in a course. This is essential for any math-rich course.

0 Likes
1 Solution
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

You can create this type of question using the Formula Question option in new quizzes. Here are the relevant guides.

View solution in original post