Question banks cannot be "seen" when trying to add them to a new quiz

Jump to solution
MelissaCoull
Community Member

When I attempt to add questions from a question bank to my exam, Canvas cannot "see" that my question banks exist.

I created several question banks yesterday (10-4-24) without issue. However, now I am trying to create a new quiz by pulling questions from the question banks I created yesterday.

When I build my exam, I click on "item banks" it says I don't have any item banks. I've searched all bank filter options (shared with me, shared with course, institution, and this course) and my question banks cannot be found. However, when I go back to "quizzes" along the left-hand side of the Canvas screen and then select "manage question banks" I can see all of the question banks I created yesterday. It is as if the different parts of Canvas are not talking to each other.

How do I access my question banks when trying to create a new quiz?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
stimme
Community Coach
Community Coach

These are two parts of Canvas that cannot talk to each other. There are two different quiz engines: Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes. If both engines are available, you might have a choice between them when you click +Quiz. If you don't get a choice, try selecting Reset Quiz Engine Choice in the Quizzes triple-dot menu. 

New Quizzes can connect to item banks. You get to NQ item banks from the NQ build page or from the Item Banks link in your course navigation menu (if it is hidden, you could reveal it by going to the Navigation tab in course Settings. Classic Quizzes can connect to the question banks you built by going to Manage Question Banks in the Quizzes triple-dot option menu. In order to migrate the classic quiz question banks to new quiz item banks, follow these steps:

1. Create a Classic Quiz. Give it a short, meaningful title. The title appears at the beginning of the NQ Item Bank names. Course code, e.g. PHIL100, might work well.
  2. On the questions tab, click the Find Questions button.
  3. Select a CQ Question Bank, click Select All (if more than 50 questions, load them all before selecting), then choose Create Bank from the Dropdown Menu. Enter a name (this name will be prepended with the quiz title after migration, e.g. a "Socrates" question group becomes NQ Item Bank "PHIL100 - Socrates"). Confirm. Wait for the questions to fill the question group.
  4. Repeat as necessary until the quiz contains a question group for each question bank you want to migrate.
  5. Save.
  6. Migrate this quiz by choosing "Migrate" from its triple-dot options menu in the Quizzes list.
  7. Once the process finishes, open the New Quiz version's Build page. Click Item Banks and see your NQ Item Bank questions.
  8. Delete unneeded intermediary quizzes.

There is a guide, too, with a different approach. How do I move a Classic Quizzes question bank into a New Quizzes item bank? 

View solution in original post

0 Likes