Bug Report: Multiple answers questions don't score properly

Jump to solution
dbastedo
Community Participant

I have made up several exams (quizzes) for my online classes.  I tried using the Multiple answer type questions where I was looking for the student to pick two correct answers out of a list of 8.  If the student picks only one answer instead of 2 it corrects that response properly.  But, if the student picks two answers and one is right and one is wrong, it may report 0 points or it may report 1 point.  It is not consistent.   It marks the responses properly.  I see a green or a red indicator next to the student's responses, but it doesn't score the question correctly.  The student may have one green and one red, one choice correct and one choice wrong, but the score is 0 points!!  I have to manually go back through all the students and find this question and correct it manually on all of their exams.  My hypothesis is that out of the two correct answers that I indicated if the first answer is wrong and the second one is right, then it doesn't score the second correct answer. When it goes to assign points, it doesn't assign any points even if the second answer is correct.  Just a guess.  The marking choices as right or wrong is fine, but the scoring is messed up.

2 Solutions
Shar
Community Champion

Hi David M. Bastedo,

Hopefully you're talking about Classic Quizzes. To the best of my knowledge multiple answers DOES subtract points for wrong answers. Check out Understanding Multiple Answers Questions

"a student loses the same amount for marking a wrong answer that they get for marking a correct answer."

What their page doesn't say is that a student's score won't go negative and the minimum score for the question is 0.

I tried your hypothesis about which correct answer it selects affects the number of points and I get consistent results with the scoring. Can you provide screen shots?

345562_pastedImage_1.png

With multiple answers expecting 2 correct answers and a student answers 1 right and 1 wrong, the score is 0 points. In my example above, I made the questions worth 2 points, meaning 1 point for each correct answer.

And just in case, you're talking about New Quizzes. New Quizzes: Multiple Answer Partial Scoring (2020-04-18 Release) We don't use New Quizzes yet so I have no experience with any of the question types there.

Hope you find something useful, and again I recommend the Blog Post by  @James : Understanding Multiple Answers Questions.

Stay home, stay healthy,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

dbastedo
Community Participant
Author

Thank you both for responding.  I obviously misunderstood the way it is graded.  I didn't realize that a wrong answer was subtracted.  I was trying to get two independent questions operating in one question. When the student has one response correct and one incorrect, I thought that each would earn or not earn a point, not that one answer would penalize the other correct answer.  I was assuming that right answers were worth 1 and incorrect answers were worth 0 not -1.  I am using the classic quizzing.  I guess I wish that I could customize that feature.  I could get a lot more questions into a test with less work if I could put two independent questions in one.

View solution in original post