CONFERENCES: Students can't see each other

Jump to solution
maria_wilbar1
Community Novice

CONFERENCES: STUDENTS CAN'T SEE EACH OTHER

Greetings everyone - I am having an issue when meeting with my students in Conferences: They can't see each other. They can see me and I can see them clearly, but as I said before, they can't see each other. Is anyone having the same issue? Any help with this issue will be highly appreciated!

2 Solutions
emily_allen
Community Team
Community Team

Hi again,  @maria_wilbar1 ‌. I've done some more digging and it looks like the Conferences provider (BigBlueButton) has restricted the ability for students to see each other's webcams. The reasoning is that it significanly reduces the load, which could lead to disconnections or disruptions. I know it's not ideal, but I hope this information helps provide some clarity. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with!

Thanks!

Emily

View solution in original post

Emily, thank you so much for your reply and forgive my late post. Your response was very helpful. I am disappointed with the decision from the BigBlueButton of restricting the use of the webcam so that all users could see each other. Seeing each other is essential for creating a sense of classroom community.

After reading your reply, I decided to use Zoom. I must say that I am delighted with the results. It is by far a much more robust video conferencing tool than the one offered by the BigBlueButton. I would love it if Canvas would consider teaming up with Zoom so that the access to Zoom is automatic under the conferences tab. 

Warm regards!

View solution in original post