How do I close all assignments for one student?

Jump to solution
mashmc
Community Novice

I need to close a student's assignments temporarily until they contact me about plagiarism. How do I do this?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@mashmc  

A quick way is to put 0's for all of the assignments and leave them an email about what is going on. Putting in a 0 -- even on a single assignment tends to get their attention. Doing it on lots of assignments magnifies the effect. Putting in a 0 won't keep them from submitting, though, so they won't necessarily fall behind while you discuss things with them.

If you have the ability to add sections, you could add a section that has dates in the future. Be sure to check the box to restrict the participation to between those dates or it doesn't have any effect. Then move the student to that section and they wouldn't be able to participate. Be sure to email them as well -- perhaps before you do this, there may be some restrictions on communicating with students not actively in the course, but I cannot remember what those are off the top of my head. The idea is that when the student can no longer get into the course, they will look into it.

You can go through and use differentiated assignments, which is where you set availability dates for students, groups, or sections that are different from the rest of the class. This will probably not have the effect that you think it should. The student will just think that it's not due for them anymore or until later and not think to check on it.

You can use modules and prerequisites, although this can be cumbersome to setup if you don't already have them. You could say, for example, that you have to score at least a certain amount on the assignment you are concerned about. This is a requirement for completing the current module and you can make it a prerequisite for the next module.

View solution in original post

0 Likes