PDF hyperlinks not working when uploaded

Jump to solution
kshannon
Community Novice

Is there anything that has to be done to a pdf to have it keep hyperlinks when uploaded to a course in Canvas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Kelly,

They should work.  Are you sure the links are active in the PDF file before you uploaded it to Canvas?  I just tested a few pdfs in my courses and the links in them work fine when viewed with the DocViewer in Canvas and if I click the link to have it download.

I have occasionally seen cases where a PDF does not display correctly in the Canvas Doc View, such as if the PDF is password protected.  If cases like this the file needs to be downloaded to be viewed correctly so disabling the InLine preview option can help with that.  This only applies to links from withing the Rich Content Editor though, not links from Modules.

• In the RCE after linking to the PDF file, click on the link and then select the Link Icon in the old RCE, or if using the New RCE click the Options button. 
  • Check the box next to Disable in-line preview

This will force the file to be downloaded to be viewed.  It's also useful to do this if you have Powerpoint files with media or other special features that won't display correctly with DocViewer in Canvas.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Likes