cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmckamey
Surveyor II

"Complete All Items" is not working

Jump to solution

I have "Complete All Items in the Module" set as a requirement for my modules, but it does not appear that Canvas is honoring that setting. When I'm in student view, only the first page in the module is receiving a check mark indicating it has been viewed, even when all the pages have been viewed. The only thing i notice is that all the subsequent pages are indented. This is because  my first page is an overview of the module and I want to show that everything else is subsidiary to the overview page.  If indenting the items means Canvas ignores them as items, that's really dumb. The setting is "ALL items" in the module. 😞 Is my Canvas glitching? Should Canvas be checking off all the pages when I have this setting turned on, even if they are indented? 

I'm really frustrated that I can't find this information in the How to for this feature. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @tmckamey,

It sounds like you enabled the Students must complete all of these requirements setting in Module Settings. Did you also add item requirements for the specific assignments, pages, discussions, etc included in that module? (For more information, check out the Set Item Requirements step of the How do I add requirements to a module? guide) Any module items that are listed on that settings page can be assigned one of five requirement options: View the item, Mark as done, Contribute to the page, Submit the assignment, and Score at least. Hope that helps!

Naomi

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @tmckamey,

It sounds like you enabled the Students must complete all of these requirements setting in Module Settings. Did you also add item requirements for the specific assignments, pages, discussions, etc included in that module? (For more information, check out the Set Item Requirements step of the How do I add requirements to a module? guide) Any module items that are listed on that settings page can be assigned one of five requirement options: View the item, Mark as done, Contribute to the page, Submit the assignment, and Score at least. Hope that helps!

Naomi

View solution in original post

tmckamey
Surveyor II

Yes, I didn't know I was setting it up wrong. I discovered this later after reading more posts. I really don't think this feature is organized in a logical way according to how many people seem to make this mistake. 

What I interpreted that first check box option to mean is that all my pages already included in the module would be required...quick one and done. I can see a place for being able to choose pages, but I think there are probably plenty of people who would just like to quickly say "make em all required" and it seems like that could be automated to save us all precious time. 

I also find the Canvas Guides woefully insufficient to explain these options.  (In fact, I think this most of the time, but in this case for sure). 

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @tmckamey,

I've created a task for my team (the documentation team) to take a look at that module requirements guide. If you have feedback about any of the other Canvas guides, we're always looking for ways to improve them. Each of the guides has a Share Your Feedback link at the bottom; you can use that to send guide improvement/clarification suggestions. 

Also, there is a feature idea related to module requirements and how they appear in the UI that I thought you might be interested in: Update Module Requirements UI. If you'd like to support this idea, you can give it a rating and/or post a comment in the idea thread. 

Naomi