cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Canvas Changes

Upcoming Canvas Changes

Periodically functionality will be added, changed, or removed in Canvas. Announcements are made in Release Notes on an ongoing basis. Other changes may not be directly related to Canvas, such as browser updates, which are not associated with Canvas releases.

This document outlines the summary of all upcoming changes that may affect Canvas customers.

Change Definitions

• Deprecated: The software element or feature has been replaced by newer functionality and should be avoided, as deprecation precedes its complete removal on the specified date. Additionally, support for the element or feature is no longer provided.
  • End of Life: The previously deprecated software element or feature is no longer available and will be completely removed.
  • Preview Announcement: A feature option in Canvas is identified with an upcoming enforcement date, which is when the feature will be enabled in all Canvas accounts and will no longer be optional. Canvas admins can use the preview time period appropriately to roll out the feature to their institutions.
  • Enforced: A previously announced preview feature (feature option) or other feature change is required for use by all Canvas accounts.

For archived announcements, please see Upcoming Canvas Changes [Archive].

Deprecations/end of life announcements related to Canvas Platform Services (APIs, GraphQL, Canvas Data) are located in the Change Log.

Document Change Log

2019-10-19

Change Type Change Description Effective Date Resource
Deprecation Rich Content Editor The existing Rich Content Editor is deprecated; institutions should use the New Rich Content Editor. End of Life:

2021-01-16
User Group: New RCE (coming soon)

2020-03-23

Preview Announcement New Quizzes New Quizzes will be enforced for all paid accounts on the indicated enforcement date. However, customers can continue to use Classic Quizzes in conjunction with New Quizzes.

Institutions who do not yet have New Quizzes added to their account can contact their Customer Success Manager to enable New Quizzes for testing.

Preview availability for Free-for-Teacher accounts is pending; this document will be updated when a date is determined.

Enforcement:

2021-07-17

July 2021 Canvas Feature Enforcements

2020-07-20

Deprecation TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 Support for TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 will be discontinued in Canvas. Institutions must update to TLS 1.2 or switch their API URLs to a legacy endpoint.

*Support in the Test environment for TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 will be discontinued on 2020-08-15.

Institutions that are not able to transition to TLS 1.2 should update their API URL to a legacy endpoint, which is created by adding legacyapi after the institution name (e.g. institution-name.legacyapi.instructure.com). Legacy endpoints will be supported until 2021-07-17.

End of Life:

2020-09-19

Customer TLS Protocols FAQ

2020-07-20

Deprecation Google Apps LTI The existing Google Apps LTI is deprecated. All customers should set up Google Assignments in Canvas as a replacement. End of Life:

2021-09-01

Blog: New! Meet Google Assignments LTI

2020-09-19

Change Type Previous Announcement Date Change Description Resource
End of Life 2020-07-20 TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1  Support for TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 is discontinued in Canvas. Institutions must update to TLS 1.2 or switch their API URLs to a legacy endpoint.

Institutions that are not able to transition to TLS 1.2 should update their API URL to a legacy endpoint, which is created by adding legacyapi after the institution name (e.g. institution-name.legacyapi.instructure.com). Legacy endpoints will be supported until 2021-07-17.

2021-01-16

End of Life 2019-10-19 Rich Content Editor The existing Rich Content Editor will be removed from Canvas and replaced by the New Rich Content Editor. January 2021 Canvas Feature Enforcements

2021-07-17

Enforcement 2020-03-23 New Quizzes New Quizzes will be enforced for all accounts. However, customers can continue to use Classic Quizzes in conjunction with New Quizzes. July 2021 Canvas Feature Enforcements
End of Life 2020-07-20  TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 Legacy Endpoints

Legacy URLs for TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 are no longer supported.

Institutions using a legacy endpoint for their TLS protocols must upgrade to TLS 1.2.1

2021-09-01

End of Life 2020-08-11 Google Apps LTI The existing Google Apps LTI will be removed from Canvas. All customers should set up Google Assignments in Canvas as a replacement.

Blog: New! Meet Google Assignments LTI

Document Change Log

BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS

Date  
2020-08-13

Added 2020-08-11 - Google Apps LTI Deprecation

Added 2021-09-01 - Google Apps LTI End of Life

2020-08-05

Based on current educational challenges from COVID-19, the December 2020 enforcement date for the New Rich Content Editor has changed to January 2021; New Course and User Analytics has been postponed indefinitely.

Removed 2019-10-19 - New Course and User Analytics Deprecation

Changed 2019-10-19 - New Rich Content Editor Deprecation End of Life Date to 2021-01-16

Removed 2020-12-19 - New Course and User Analytics End of Life

Changed 2020-12-19 date to 2021-01-16

Changed 2020-03-23, 2021-07-17 - New Quizzes resource document</>

2020-07-20

Added 2020-07-20 - TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 Deprecation

Added 2020-09-19 - TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 End of Life

Added 2021-07-17 - TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 Legacy Endpoints End of Life

Archived 2020-03-28 - {Ready Release} + Monthly Release Preview Announcements

Archived 2020-07-18 - {Ready Release} + Monthly Release Enforcements

2020-07-09

Based on current educational challenges from COVID-19, the December 2020 enforcement date for New Quizzes is postponed.

Removed New Quizzes Enforcement from 2020-12-19

Added 2021-07-17 - New Quizzes Enforcement

Removed 2021 February, 2022 July, 2026 July New Quizzes entries; revised dates will be posted when available.

2020-06-15 Added list of enforced features to 2020-07-18; updated associated July resource document
2020-05-18

Changed December 2020 date to 2020-12-19

Moved 2020-07-18 New Course and User Analytics and Rich Content Editor entries to 2020-12-19

Archived 2020-04-08 - SMS Notifications Deprecation

Archived 2020-05-02 - SMS Notifications End of Life

2020-04-08

Added 2020-04-08 - SMS Notifications Deprecation

Added 2020-05-02 - SMS Notifications End of Life

Labels (1)
Comments

Thank you!  This will be a great resource for us.

Waynes World Gif with the caption, &quot;I Like what you

I didn't realize how much I needed this page until I had this page. Thanks Canvas Peeps!

BRILLIANT!

Woo hoo! erinhallmark‌ R.O.C.K.S. in the U.S.A.!

Question: Have you ever took a bite of some dish that just seemed to get better with every chomp!

Answer: Yes I have, and it's called: Baked Canvas, smothered with Community Gravy!

Stay hungry my friends!

Excellent! 

omg !   New canvas school here.  Out biggest problem is taking advantage of all of the resources !  Heck ya

Thank you erinhallmark‌! 

erinhallmark‌ this release was LOADED, which I realized and appreciated you even more as I was trying to put together my own blurb for my faculty and it just kept going and going! So a HUGE THANK YOU ERIN from all of us!!

Agree!! The direct share feature is a wonderful addition.

For anyone wondering, there are New Analytics Resources and New Rich Content Editor Resources pages with more information for those new features.  There are also comparison blogs/documents for them at New vs. Old Analytics  and Rich Content Editor Comparison Document.  They also have groups at User Group: New Analytics and User Group: Assignment Workflow Improvements (this is where the RCE is).

I was going to ask (see below) for them but I "went through a rabbit-hole"   and found them.

+++++

Like there is for "Classic Quizzes" and "New Quizzes", are there feature comparison documents for any other features that currently exist but are being significantly changed or enhanced?  I am wondering specifically for "Classic RCE" and "New RCE", as well as "Classic Analytics" and "New Analytics".

Hi, erinhallmark‌.

Thank you for pointing me to the Ideas page. I am aware of that page and really like this new approach. I feel that folks can gain a better understanding of what is in the development queue. I understand that many of the community requested features for the New RCE will take some time and/or will not be considered by Instructure. I have faith that Deactivated user‌ and her team will make a real effort to address concerns brought up by community members.

There does need to be a serious conversation on the toolbar disappearing when the page is content heavy. It doesn't make any sense to have to scroll up just to bold or format something just to scroll back down to where you are at in the document. Sure there are keyboard shortcuts but our most technology sensitive faculty will not understand how to use shortcuts. A text editor without a static toolbar will make content authoring more difficult for these folks. For power users - the amount of additional mouse clicks introduced for instructional design staff when the sidebar cannot be pinned is really bothersome to me. Mostly when you need to add multiple links or media items.

We have refrained from switching to the new RCE and will continue to do so until we are either forced to or these two items are addressed. If the enforcement date comes before many of the usability items brought up by the community are addressed, that will be really unfortunate.

Hi, Justin,

Lauren and team have been looking into that functionality. We can get that done if we can upgrade TinyMCE, but as you've noticed, there are a significant number of issues to prioritize at the moment and the team needs to see how much work it would take to do that (compared to everything else going on). If it's something that goes into development, it'll be added to the page.

Thanks!

Erin

Is there a way to get an RSS feed of this information?

So by Feb 2021 will we see parity of features between New Quizzes and Classic Quizzes?

Hi, Cody,

This page doesn't support RSS feed functionality, but you can follow the page and get updated via email each time there is an update.

Thanks,

Erin

Hi, Gideon,

The New Quizzes timeline is still being confirmed. Specific updates will be provided in User Group: New Quizzes‌.

Thanks!

Erin

Since changes were made to the "2020-07-18" section, can we please see what was changed?  We see "Added list of enforced features to 2020-07-18; updated associated July resource document" but we do not know what was removed from the list.  Maybe the Google Doc linked to at July 2020 Canvas Feature Enforcements - Google Docs  could have the removed items listed in the "Features by Name" section on the first page but with a line through them and without any links to their details later in the document.

Thank you for considering the adjustment.

Can someone tell me when the "New improved rich content editor" will totally replace the classic editor? I am absolutely sure that I saw somewhere that it would be rolled out as the default editor on July 18 2020 and the classic editor would be deprecated. But now I find nothing on this when I search every page possible!

carina.bois@ki.se, that feature and its final release has been changed several times and I have lost track of when it (and others) will be mandatory.  There are too many places to watch and too many changes taking place.  There needs to be a centralized location where major features and their current release date and previous (no longer correct with a strike-through) release dates need to be listed.  The page that we are on now used to be that for major features.

Amen. We need one place where all of this is documented in an intuitive, consistent manner. Otherwise it could be interpreted that unpopular features are being "slipped in" when no one is looking with claims that only a "small number" of schools are pushing back when some eagle eyed administrator catches a detail in one of the million places where info is posted.

Totally agree Douglas!!

Carina,

This page lists all major features, and the New RCE is planned for December. It's listed in the 2020-12-19 section.

Thanks,

Erin

Thank you,erinhallmark.

What about either items/features that have been removed or changed, some of which generated a lot of feedback?  How will we find out the status of those in a centralized location instead of going to their specific pages?

Hi, Douglas,

The purpose of the document is to focus on the features that are being enforced. More clarification about what was removed will be provided in the July release notes, being published on Monday.

Thanks,

Erin

Hi, Douglas,

The Canvas Release Feature Archive provides an overview of all features and status changes, if any.

Thanks,

Erin

erinhallmark, I appreciate your response and all of your dedication to Canvas and the Canvas Community.  I hope that you, and others at Instructure, are starting to see how it is getting difficult for users to track features because there are too many locations to follow and this page (Upcoming Canvas Changes) and the link that you just shared (Canvas Release Feature Archive) are examples of that, especially when changes are made to a feature's release schedule.

It should not take a lot of time for someone (imagine how overwhelmed a new user is, I have only been a Canvas user since February 2018) to browse through the Canvas Community and find all of these different (but similar) articles about what is being released, what it does, and the different stages of how and when it will be released.  It is also time-consuming for the Community team to update the changes in multiple places.  There needs to be a centralized location that is easy to find, and easy to track the status of a community page or Canvas feature (including its history, which would mean what its previous release dates were).

What is the status of the tutorials?  What is the status of celebrations?  Those are features that were on this page but they have disappeared.  They also used to be included in July 2020 Canvas Feature Enforcements - Google Docs.

dbrace@lccc.edu

Thank you Doug - I appreciate your patient summary of the issue. As someone who has been administering Canvas for the past seven years I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep track of the dozens if not hundreds of places where information is kept, often inconsistently. Another symptom of the confusion is the time it takes our CSM to find answers when we ask - our CSM is great but not even he is able to find the information quickly. So there needs to be a hierarchy of critical info like this in one place. I am happy to go hunting through past release notes about feature options that may be useful but stuff that is going to move our cheese or break our stuff needs to be consistently documented and updated in one place including changes; this is basic change management and communications best practice.

Hi dbrace@lccc.edu and buellj@seattleu.edu‌...

Your feedback here sparked an idea that you might want to consider.  I'm not sure if you've seen the recent blog post from scottd@instructure.com‌ called New Community Almost Here, but at the end of his posting, he provides a link to a short survey.  I've already taken the survey, but I think some of the questions in the survey would apply to some of your feedback.  I'm sure they would welcome any thoughts you had to share in that survey.

Thanks Chris - done! It's frustrating how opportunities to offer feedback are so buried in odd places. I would like Instructure to do better about involving Admins in providing feedback about possible changes before they are done and delivered (and often with sub-optimal functionality or unnecessary feature enforcement).

You are welcome, buellj@seattleu.edu, and thank you for the compliments.  I am also willing to search through different parts of the Community as well but there is just so much out there and I end up going down rabbit holes and losing track of time.

Thank you, chofer@morainepark.edu.  I probably would have eventually found that post and survey.  I wish I could take an entire day each week, or at least every other week, and browse through the Canvas Community to keep up on certain things.

Currently there is no way to delete attempts or grant additional attempts when the Assignment Allowed Attempt feature option is on. Please consider voting (once it gets past initial stage) or commenting/discussing on this feature idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/17217-moderate-assignment-attempts 

Version history
Revision #:
4 of 4
Last update:
‎08-17-2020 01:08 PM
Updated by: