A few thoughts on Classic and New Quizzes in a time of change

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

shaun_moon
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Earlier today, Susan Sorensen shared this post about our plans to extend the transition of Classic Quizzes providing users the option to use Classic Quizzes until June 30, 2024

I’m grateful for your continued partnership and feedback that you, our users, provide as we navigate the transition from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes. It’s probably important that I emphasize and reaffirm that this extension does not impact our planned delivery of New Quizzes. We are committed to keeping our “foot on the gas” to improve New Quizzes, but we want to ensure you have time and tools to manage the transition from Classic to New Quizzes in ways that better serve your students and instructors. 

I also want to share a bit more about the decisions we made in the past in regards to New Quizzes functionality and timelines. One question that we often hear is “Why LTI?”. Our greatest goal in creating a robust assessment tool was to ensure a scalable and reliable experience. We made a decision to optimize for scale and availability first by creating New Quizzes as an independent service, outside of the “monolithic” Canvas code base. Institutions using New Quizzes for very large assessments have attested to its reliability.

This said, we also recognize that this approach has created a user experience that needs to be much better. The flow back and forth between New Quizzes and Canvas must be, and will be, better. This is one aspect of keeping the foot on the gas.

We know that the road to New Quizzes has been challenging and the circumstances of the last two years have not helped to make things easier. We have tried to do our best balancing many needs as we have assigned folks on Canvas to work on supporting all our customers during a time of rapid change. The feedback you’ve provided, and analysis we’ve done on the history of Classic Quizzes support and New Quizzes development are informing changes that will do two things–(1) fully deliver on promised functionality and (2) provide time and controls for institutions to transition in ways that are more comfortable. 

Thank you. Thank you for bringing your expertise, your perspectives and your best selves to this collaboration. We are committed to doing the same. Serving the world’s instructional faculty and world’s students is the great privilege of my career. I am looking forward to amazing things for all of us in 2022 and beyond.

Keep Learning

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.