DREAM'ing of Education Standards

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

ChadKinart
Instructure
Instructure

I love to DREAM!  Not the sleepy day-dreaming kind.  Data Rules Everything Around Me.  I love data and enjoy making sure a ‘story’ and its data match.  Lately, I have been talking with numerous people regarding standards making the statement; ‘Standards don’t change much’.  I decided to do a little research to see if that ‘story’ matches the data.  I went to the past Academic Benchmarks Newsletters, where we report the new standards that have been released each month, and pulled that retrospective data from August 2020 to September 2021.  My hunch was that people were making blanket statements due to their specific situations.  Below is what I found:

ChadKinart_0-1635795566094.png

For the stated time period, there were 135 changes/updates.  This comes to an average of 12.72 changes/updates per month.  

ChadKinart_1-1635795566081.png

As can be seen in the chart above, CTE, ELA, Math, SS, and Science all had numerous changes throughout the specified time period.

Now back to my original hunch.  If a group is only looking for standards on one or two subjects, their statement of standards changing infrequently may have some merit.  But, groups that are in the Core 4 subjects (ELA, Math, SS, and Science), the limited set of data presented above shows that there are numerous changes taking place on a monthly basis.

I hope you have enjoyed your time DREAM'ing with me!  Please let me know in the comments on any other data you would like to see in the future.

PS: Thanks to Dave Saben for teaching me to DREAM!

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

2 Comments