Discussions: Help Us Improve

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas.png

Since the Discussions Redesign was enforced, we’ve addressed some unforeseen issues and are now focusing on enhancing key areas and introducing new features. We’ve already received some valuable feedback, giving us a general idea of what needs attention. Now, we’d like to hear from you directly about what matters most to you, so we can prioritize our upcoming work accordingly.

That’s why we’re launching a survey — a quick and easy way for you to share what you enjoy, what could be improved, and which updates you’d like to see sooner rather than later!

How to Take the Survey

Ready to share your thoughts? Click here to begin the survey! It’s fast, secure, and your responses are completely anonymous, unless you would like to participate in the further studies. The survey should take no longer than 5-10 minutes to complete.

We are seeking candidates to have deeper conversations with

At the end of the survey, you'll have the option to express interest in further discussions. We’re seeking candidates to engage in one-on-one calls to better understand your needs and provide feedback on our designs and prototypes. If you’re interested, simply fill out the survey with your contact information. While we may not be able to speak with everyone due to high interest, we will reach out to selected participants in the coming weeks.

Thank you for helping us make Discussions the best it can be. We’re excited to hear from you!

3 Comments
ltuckey
Community Novice

Please bring back the “needs grading” for DB posts that have been posted after the due date. I give my students the opportunity to correct their posts, but I have no way of knowing now whether they did it, without checking every single post again. Which is ludicrous.

JenNimtz1
Community Member

I have recently inquired about the following two items, and the response is that Canvas does not have this feature.

1. Upgrade bulk assignments with an automatic extension for students with disabilities. Currently, Canvas requires that instructors must enter extensions for each assignment individually, which takes a LOT of time. As more and more students are diagnosed with disabilities that require extra time, this is a much needed feature!

2. Update bulk assignments with a change in time. Currently, Canvas only allows for a bulk change in the DATE, but not the time of an assignment. When instructors are using a department template with assignments due before class, the dates likely remain the same, but the time of class is different. Again, Canvas requires that instructors change each assignment individually, which requires a LOT of time. 

In summary, the ability to make bulk DATE and TIME changes for individual students assignments is needed, and the ability to make bulk TIME changes (in addition to date) is needed for setting up courses at the beginning of the term.

Thank you.

Jeff_F
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @JenNimtz1 - I see you have posted a few ideas as a reply to this thread which is about the discussion tool. However your topic is about bulk editing of assignment dates and times.

Please permit me to share the Canvas Ideas page. Once there you can view the previously submitted ideas and post yours as well.  😁

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Ideas/idb-p/canvas-ideas 

For your second idea, please note that the bulk update interface does provide for batch editing the time as well as the dates. But perhaps you are interested in being able to pick an exact time for selected assignments to be due without having to click and type in the Due At field.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-bulk-update-due-dates-and-availability-...