Measure Mastery with any Canvas Assignment

Cason
Instructure
Instructure

Mastery.png

Hello! I am Cason Snow, a Product Manager with the Mastery Connect team!

We are always looking for ways to make things easier for teachers. I spend my time researching ways to improve the delivery of assessments to students, making it simple for them to demonstrate their learning, and for teachers to interpret the results.  Our team is also responsible for furthering the integration with Canvas – which is why I am incredibly excited about our newest feature: Canvas Assignment Alignment.

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 7.59.41 AM.png

Assessment can occur in many forms, and classrooms that are looking to implement standards-based practices use various types of learning activities as assessments to measure their students’ performance. Educators know that an essay or project can be just as much a measure of learning as an item-based assessment, and deserves to be measured as such.

Canvas assignment alignment will allow educators to expand how they use standards-based assessment in their day-to-day practice. Through Canvas - they can now choose to select a standard alignment when creating or editing assignments and graded discussions.

Once they align their assignments, they can deliver those assignments to their students as they normally would in their Canvas course, and score them using Speedgrader or the Gradebook. Once they have provided their students with a score, their tracker will automatically receive those scores and translate them to a Mastery result - allowing them to see progress on each learning standard. 

For example, you may wish to have your students complete an essay that they will submit through their Canvas course. You can now choose the most appropriate standard that the students are demonstrating through that work - then you score them and receive Mastery results for that standard.

This feature is a step on our path at Instructure to build a learning platform that makes it easy to teach, easy to learn, and easy to demonstrate that learning. Our team is hoping to expand the functionality the assignment alignment feature provides even further, along with many other improvements for those educators on our platform. 

We are excited to hear how this improves your teaching practices, and how we can help improve it further for you. Learn more about the Assignment Alignment in the Mastery Connect Release Notes (2024-03-21).

2 Comments