Releasing Modules to Students and Sections

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas.png

As you’ve seen in previous blog posts, we’re working on being more transparent about what’s happening behind the scenes as we work to deliver value to you. I’m excited to share an update with where we are on a Q2 roadmap item you all are looking forward to –– the ability to release modules to individuals and sections. 

What’s the feature?

We are leveraging the existing “Assign To” functionality available for assignments, including graded discussions and quizzes, and applying it to modules. This means you’ll be able to use the same workflow across multiple learning objects and modules. Once this feature is released, you’ll be able to “assign” individuals and sections to modules. In addition, we’re improving the existing user experience for assignments, quizzes, and graded discussions, and adding the functionality to ungraded discussions and pages. 

We are also looking at leveraging this functionality for Files, but are not including them in our initial release so that we can ensure we deliver value faster and get the design and functionality right.

Why are we doing it?

In addition to the fact that you all have asked for this functionality, as evidenced by many community ideas (see here, here, and here) and in numerous calls with our product team, we wanted to deliver this to you so that you can unlock new workflows that will solve a lot of your existing problems while delighting you with new possibilities. The most common use cases we heard were that you needed to: 

• Assign alternate curriculum versions based on learning needs while maintaining privacy
  • Increase learner choice by providing elective content
  • Achieve desired learning outcomes by providing extra support and practice
  • Allow more advanced learners to move ahead or take on more advanced content
  • Allowing a learner to skip content once competency has been achieved
  • Easily slot learners that join a course mid-year into the right place in the course
  • Allocate updated content to the correct learners in rolling enrollment courses 

What’s taking so long? 

If you’re an active member of the community, you are likely thinking that this all sounds great, but you told us you were starting this over six months ago – where is it? Well, what was unclear in the roadmap item is that we are actually delivering three new features at the same time. For this feature to work effectively for you, we needed to make sure that you could also assign pages and ungraded discussions given that these learning objects, along with assignments, quizzes, and graded discussions, are the most common content types in modules. So, what has been talked about as one feature is actually three! 

What’s this going to look like?

We are excited to give the existing “assign to” functionality a makeover, moving it into a tray that will fly out whenever a user clicks “Assign To.” The new design will also save you clicks by giving you a direct shortcut to “Assign To” from the modules index page. 

The module will default to everyone, just as it does in Assignments today. 

AllisonHowell_0-1711396039850.png

Users can select “Assign To” to assign the module to students and sections.

AllisonHowell_1-1711396069247.png

Module content will automatically be visible only to those who have been granted access at the module level. If an educator wants to make assignment changes to content within the module, they can drilldown from the modules index page (or can do it directly from the relevant assignment edit page) and alter at the assignment level.  

AllisonHowell_2-1711396092261.png

AllisonHowell_3-1711396105637.png

We know you probably have a lot of questions about how this is all going to work. We plan to share a lot more about the rules, use cases, and other details as we approach the release so that you’re able to properly prepare and get excited! 

Looking forward to sharing more soon!

61 Comments
AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@Leslie_MLT We are in the final stages of development and will announce a release date very soon!

Leslie_MLT
Community Member

Thank you @AllisonHowell ! 

bkyle-3
Community Member

How will this impact the Grade Sync to our SIS? In the past, if a teacher assigns an assignment to just one section, the grades do not sync over. 

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi @bkyle-3 -- in my experience Grades for an Assignment assigned to only one section does work with grade passback (sometimes there is an error message, but it can be ignored).  The grade passback does not work for Assignments assigned to manually created Sections, or assigned to specific students.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Hi @AllisonHowell , big thanks to Instructure for this feature!  Something we've long wanted, and I'm excited the team is working on this.  Whoo hoo.  Assign to Quick view and other enhancements are also welcome.

I want to add my vote to @ProfessorBeyrer's   "An ideal option would be to give that student early access while yet allowing their classmates access at a later time."  This is a frequent request by our faculty, being able to give one (or more) students early access to a module for various reasons, due to IEP, military deployment, travel, etc.  So, multiple Assign to's with different dates would be perfect.  I realize thought has to be given to how this works with the current "lock until" function, perhaps if there are multiple assign to's each could have their own lock until date.  

We can't use sections because course enrollments are controlled with SIS updates, as @mbmacdonald describes.  The idea of groups without a homepage that are invisible to students would help a lot, if choosing groups could be an option.

Something else it would be nice to have, ability to override a prerequisite lock for individual students.  An override prerequisites checkbox for a Module Assign to?

abbyrosensweig
Community Participant

We're eager for this feature and I see it's not in the June release - will it be in July?

olguin
Community Member

I am also looking for a release date or timeline for this. Did I miss it?

Thanks!

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@abbyrosensweig @olguin We are doing some final testing internally and, if all goes well, we anticipate this being in beta in June and production in July. I will post a new blog post once we're finalized so you can keep an eye out for it in the notes. Looking forward to having you all test it and out use it!

ecprice1
Community Member

I see this is in BETA - kind of - like what is missing is the ability to assign from and until dates. Any idea on when this will be complete?

I SEE ABOVE JULY - thanks

e_provensal
Community Participant

Very excited to see this feature, we have had so many requests for something like this and it will help to solve many problems!

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

I see this in Beta and in the July Release Notes. While I'm very excited about this update, it looks like an effect of the UI change is the Assign To fields are no longer visible by default on the Assignment settings screen. I see it as very problematic that a basic (and essential) assignment setting requires an additional click to set. Many of our teachers just create basic assignments in Canvas: Title, Points, Due Date. It really should not take an extra click to open a panel to enter this basic information, I know we will receive a lot of staff complaints about this.