Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunsetting Classic Quizzes Q&A

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure
5 124 10.3K

You may have additional questions and comments after reading the Classic Quiz Sunsetting Timeline.  This post is intended to provide some insight into the Instructure perspective, answer any outstanding questions, discuss any of your concerns and facilitation customer planning. 

Why is Instructure planning the transition now?

It’s true that New Quizzes does not do exactly what Classic Quizzes has done, just as you can say that Classic Quizzes doesn’t do everything that New Quizzes does. Now is the time to move our focus toward getting everyone aligned and dreaming of the same possibilities. Yes, there will be ongoing work. With your help in raising your needs, we will harmonize those with the current New Quizzes functionality or needed improvements. Possible improvements should not, however, prevent forward movement of all institutions to New Quizzes.

Now is the time to plan a move because already 50% of quiz volume is through New Quizzes! Even with this trend, we are still seeing support volume for New Quizzes at 5x LESS than Classic Quizzes. New Quiz and Classic Quiz bug reports have actually been fairly even over the past year.  In New Quizzes we’ve even added redundancies to support key areas such as grade passback. Sunsetting Classic Quizzes will give our developers the ability to focus entirely on New Quiz improvements.  

What happens if Instructure misses their deadlines on key features like API access, migration, LTI integrations, etc.? Will institutions just have less time to prepare? Or will the deprecation date be pushed back?

To ask for you to plan a Phase 2 transition (July 2022), we commit to development milestones of completing Public API access and Bulk Migration from Classic to New Quizzes at the close of Phase 1. In the lead-up to these milestones, you will be informed of the progress through community blog posts at a quarterly cadence as well as your Customer Success Managers. 

If these critical tools do not meet that date, we will not force a transition at the initially planned date. Instructure will provide a pathway for Classic Quizzes to seamlessly become New Quizzes and you will have 6 months to manage the change at your institution. We understand the administrative burden that change management presents to you as you support education. If this should happen, we will engage customers and reassess timelines.

What about parity? New quizzes should be completely developed before we announce the end of life of classic quizzes.

Read our blog post: Bodankers and Botanical Gardens – Why innovative products can’t be parity products

How do I know what things I use in classic quizzes will work in New Quizzes?

Read the post  New Quizzes Feature Comparison to see an Updated Classic to New Quiz at Sunset Comparison which outlines committed functionality by the time of  transition.

What are the expectations for classic quizzes behavior? (for example, is it just going to be inaccessible via the UI, but can still download and migrate Classic quizzes to New quizzes? Will we give schools bulk download/migrate options for Classic quizzes?

A Phase 1 commitment will be to support bulk migration.

In the initial Phase 2, current courses which have not concluded will be available for quiz takers to assess against. As soon as a course closes, the Classic Quiz will be view only. Throughout Phase 2 Classic Quizzes will still be viewable in the user interface. Users will still be able to download, export, or copy to a New Quiz.

In Phase 3, the user interface reaches the end of life. Users can copy Classic Quiz content to New Quizzes via course copy, but the Classic Quiz settings and questions will not be viewable from Canvas. 

For those faculty who do not teach during every term, how will they be impacted if they can't migrate their quizzes right away? Will they have to have API knowledge to do this?

Bulk Migration will be a one-time event. After that, if a copied course includes a Classic Quiz, the quiz will automatically be created as a New Quizzes using the original Classic Quiz source information from the database.  As every course is copied in the future, the Classic Quiz will automatically become a New Quiz. Therefore, the teacher only needs to find the prior course and copy.  

What will reporting look like once classic quizzes are deprecated?

There are three tools available to New Quizzes with regard to reporting. One approach will be to utilize Canvas Data 2, which includes New Quizzes. Additionally, when the APIs are made publicly available, you will also be able to access data for your own local, custom reports. Student and Item Analysis are available in New Quizzes and Instructure will prioritize the need to download these reports in the coming year.

124 Comments
cdoherty
Community Participant

What does the New Quizzes On stage entail? Will instructors be presented with the option to create as Classic Quizzes or New Quizzes when creating a new quiz? Will quiz content imported from a past course be converted to New Quiz format automatically? Will there be a way for instructors to reuse their past quizzes in Classic Quiz format at this point?

chriscas
Community Champion

Sorry to be a squeaky wheel on this issue, but where do things stand in regards to having LTI tools available in New Quizzes?

For University of Michigan, and several other institutions using tools like Kaltura for video management, it's critical that our faculty can embed video content through the RCE like the can in classic quizzes with an LTI connector.  We brought this issue up probably 4+ years ago, and at various points in time have been told it's a work in progress.  There is honestly no way we can move forward in a large scale with New Quizzes until that functionality is made available.  The more talk I hear about sunsetting with virtually no update on the LTI within LTI, the more nervous I am getting.  Any update that can be publicly or privately shared with us through our CSM would really be welcomed.

-Chris

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@cdoherty The enforcement of "ON" will make it so that New Quizzes appear automatically as an option in addition to Classic Quizzes. Currently it is possible for Classic Quizzes to automatically be created as a New Quiz via settings. Right now though, it is missing the migrate question banks to item banks. That will be resolved as part of the migration this year. 

@chriscas The way you mention Classic Quizzes works with Kaltura via the RCE is exactly how it will work in New Quizzes once the New RCE is integrated. Engineers are working on this now. An additional, Technical Product Manager has been brought on to focus on such issues and help accelerate quizzes. 

schroederbill
Community Participant

Can you clarify what this means: "In Phase 3, the user interface reaches the end of life. Users can copy Classic Quiz content to New Quizzes via course copy, but the Classic Quiz settings and questions will not be viewable from Canvas."?

Does that just mean that users will no longer be able to edit those items?  

Also, in the Classic Quiz Sunset Timeline post, under Phase 4 it mentions the removal of the Classic Quiz database.  Does that mean that Classic Quizzes will disappear from Canvas or will instructors still be able to look back at Classic Quizzes and student results in old courses for archival purposes?  

cdoherty
Community Participant

Let me clarify my questions above. What I want to know is, when New Quizzes is set to ON, will instructors still be able to reuse their past quizzes in the classic quizzes format or will importing content force the new quizzes format on any quiz being imported to a new course?

ssungerank
Community Participant

Will New Quizzes allow for Proctorio to be attached to the quiz and/or passwords to be enabled?  We do not see that option as of right now.  

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

We currently use Respondus 4.0 to bulk import quiz questions into Canvas courses.  This is typically done via a *.txt or *.rtf file that we upload into the Respondus software, and then the questions in the file are batch-uploaded into Canvas.  In fact, I wrote a blog about how to properly format quiz questions for Respondus...which you can find here: Batch Uploading Quiz Questions with Respondus.

Will there be an easy way for us to upload many quiz questions at one time into New Quizzes?  I guess I'm asking more about quizzes that instructors give us in PDFs, Word documents, etc. that are not QTI files.  It looks like QTIs can be uploaded to New Quizzes, but what if we don't have QTI files and instructors give us their own set of questions not in a QTI format?  How will/does that work?

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@schroederbill Phase 3 means that the Classic Quiz content still exists in the database and can be a source for New Quiz creation, even when it is not visible from the UI. Phase 4, which does not have an estimated date is full removal of Classic Quizzes from the database. We'll likely match archival retention requirements for institutions in planning this date, but are not communicating since it would be far out. 

@cdoherty Classic Quizzes can be used, reused or created new during the "ON" but prior to Prevent Classic Quiz creation deadline.

@ssungerank I can't speak to what Proctorio will or will not do. However, our Phase 1 committed Milestone includes public APIs which is what Proctorio needs to do those things. We will not proceed with sunsetting if those are not in place. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Classic-Quiz-Sunset-Timeline-Subscribe/ba-p/4709... 

mmyers3
Community Member

@SuSorensen thanks for the update!  We have many Canvas Outcomes associated with Question Banks (in Classic Quizzes). How will migration work so that we will not loose our entire Outcome infrastructure attached to Question Banks when we migrate?  When will this be placed on the roadmap?  I don’t see it anywhere…

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@SuSorensen  -  thanks for all the 411.

• This feature comparison has a last updated date of 2020-08-21.  If that is accurate may I ask that page be updated with new information?  I need to know what 'boat anchors' are not being brought over.  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/New-Quizzes-Users/New-Quizzes-Feature-Comparison/ta-p/243761/show...

• The timeline you shared here indicates 1Q and 2Q 2022 will be the transition period. I have many questions about the pending batch process.  For example, can this be limited to courses in specific subaccounts?  Limited by Canvas course id ranges or workflow state?  i.e. change only quizzes in courses that haven't started.

• And this is nice to read as this addresses all the courses that faculty copy forward each term (vs. being created from a template):   if a copied course includes a Classic Quiz, the quiz will automatically be created as a New Quizzes.

Steven_S
Community Champion

I'm concerned that this has not addressed the interface between new quizzes and the module rules.  "Bodankers" does not explain how to deal with the problem created by differences in the way the new technology integrates with existing technology.  As long as late penalties apply automatically to everything in the gradebook, and module rules use the gradebook final score after any deductions, the module rules to "score at least" breaks student access for practice quizzes in new quizzes.  That module rule is important and useful for student progress through required activities that do not count towards their grade, and it is not practical to remove late penalties one student at a time for every attempt at every practice quiz.

I can migrate all other quizzes but this situation prevents practice quizzes from being functional in my courses.  There are options for solutions:

- allow individual gradebook items to be exempted from the late penalty. 

- update module rules to use the pre-late penalty score

- design new quiz practice quizzes that bypass the gradebook

I prefer the exempting of individual activities from the late penalty, personally because it benefits more than just new quizzes.  I know that this is not entirely within the new quiz team's control, but there are several related ideas suggested for the new gradebook team:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Late-Grades-Option-toggle/idi-p/363477

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Late-penalty/idi-p/455055

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/option-to-exclude-an-assignment-group-from-the...

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/new-quizzes-late-penalties-and-module-requirem...

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/exclude-assignments-that-do-not-count-towards-...

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Separate-Late-policies-for-individual-assignme...

The first of the above is listed as "in development" and would solve this issue, so I am hoping sunset of classic quizzes can also wait for this gradebook improvement to be completed in addition to the API and migration steps you are committing to within new quizzes.  Migrating practice quizzes will be more feasible at that point.

-----------------------------------------

Separately, I am also wondering about the phase 4 of the Classic quiz sunset.  Will we still be able to view students past classic quiz submissions in prior courses, and migrate/import past classic quizzes into a new quiz for future courses?

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @Jeff_F Yes! I agree completely. I'm planning on updating 

How do I know what things I use in classic quizzes will work in New Quizzes?

Updated Classic to New Quiz at Sunset Comparison -- See the post here (coming soon)

As you may know, I'm relatively new around here and want to extremely confident in the details conveyed. I'll also be discussing specific references which would be useful to users as they plan.

We are still looking at the best way for users to experience that move, and will involve customers in our discovery phase. Let me know if you'd be interested in talking about it!

@Steven_S , as you mention, we're working with another team on this currently. I'll follow up in those threads when we have changes in beta. 

Phase 4 - No, this reflects a time when the historical data is no longer kept in the Canvas database. The timing will be reflective and dependent on Classic Quiz submissions ceasing and will consider the needs of typical retention requirements for institutions. 

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Hi there @SuSorensen, you mention 'Phase 2 transition (July 2022)' but I understand it is December 2022 for APAC region. Can you confirm this is still the plan? If so, is it possible for both transition dates to be mentioned in future posts? We have not yet enabled NQ in our institution but we do receive enquiries about it and I often include links to posts like these. I'm in Melbourne, Australia so need to have that APAC transition date covered to avoid confusion / panic and everything in between 🙂

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @kirsten_ryall Yes, the plan is to prohibit Classic Quiz creation at a different time for ANZ to correspond to your lower enrollment period. This Q&A post is supplemental to the Classic Quiz Sunset Timeline post here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Classic-Quiz-Sunset-Timeline-Subscribe/ba-p/4709... Let me know if that triggers any other questions!

mwhite3
Community Participant

Will New Quizzes reports be processed quicker in the future. Currently, Classic quiz reports (item analysis) seem to be available to faculty in a very short period of time, whereas New Quizzes really do take up to 24 hours.

memrys
Community Member

How can we ensure that visitors to concluded courses with Classic Quizzes retain access to the detailed test results? For accreditation reasons and to resolve grade disputes we need to be able to access grading artifacts in concluded courses, including detailed test results. It sounds like that will go away, and this is a big concern for us.

Edit: I should note that we currently retain grading artifacts for a minimum of five years. It sounds like your timeline for sunsetting Classic Quiz data is far more curtailed than this.

gerasin
Community Member

Will New Quizzes support Honorlock? The reason we disabled New Quizzes in our instance was that we use both Honorlock and Proctorio (Proctorio is disabled now) and New Quizzes do not support any proctoring software.

sgutierrez1
Community Participant

I have a question.  There's the issue with importing quizzes from QTI files.  I've had professors run into problems where the quiz wouldn't import properly automatically as a New Quiz and I had to turn that feature off to resolve it.  Will that be fixed by then when they are forced to import QTI files as a New Quiz?

lindalee
Community Champion

Hi @SuSorensen, thanks for much for the updated timeline information about the transition to New Quizzes in the https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Sunsetting-Classic-Quizzes-Q-amp-A/ba-p/470975 post.

In Phase 2: Moving, I'm concerned about the closeness in timing of completing Blueprint sync support for New Quizzes (June 2022) and preventing the creation of new Classic Quizzes a month later (July 2022).

We expanded our New Quizzes pilot more than a year ago, and we recommend Classic Quizzes only for situations where Classic Quizzes functionality is needed (like CSV download, bulk download of file upload question responses, and Blueprint courses).

One of the obstacles to wider adoption is the lack of support for Blueprint sync -- and I'm deeply concerned that this timeline doesn't provide enough time for testing and training with our faculty who rely on Blueprint. And the inability to create new Classic Quizzes just a month later means no plan B if any issues with syncing are discovered.

nicole_fleetwoo
Community Participant

I have the same concern as @memrys  - we need to retain access to the Classic Quiz results for multiple reasons.  Simply stating that "we will consider the needs of typical retention requirements for institutions" does not put us at ease.  What is "typical"? We need a guarantee that this information will be available somewhere for a determined amount of time that meets our institution's rules on information retention, not someone else's predetermined timeframe.  Why can't Classic Quizzes remain in read-only format after your cut-over date?  Why must you get rid of all that valuable information?

One more quick question - are the accessibility issues of some of the question types going to be addressed?  It's not right to have question types that folks with disabilities cannot access.  I have not seen that on any of the road maps.  

venitk
Community Champion

Importing Questions from Respondus

@SuSorensen , I have the same question as chofer about Respondus, or otherwise being able to bulk import quiz questions from a .doc, .rtf, or other file. This has been a main roadblock for us in adopting New Quizzes. When I speak to Canvas Support about it, they say Respondus has to change their product, and Respondus (naturally) says Canvas has to change their product. 

Bulk Migration

I've read and reread the posts and I think I'm just confusing myself. It seems like you're saying Bulk Migration will be An Event during which Canvas transfers all of our Classic Quizzes into New Quizzes? Or will that be a button that we push? Or...? I'm confused because it sounds like you're expecting migration to take place in Phase 2, but Bulk Migration happens at the end of Phase 1 six months earlier. But then I thought maybe Bulk Migration referred to a button that would be available at the end of Phase 1 that we would be responsible for pushing during Phase 2, but elsewhere it's called a "one-time event." 

Anyway, could you say more about what is bulk migration? What it would look like for an individual instructor vs a team of IDs administering a bank of shared courses.  

grahamb
Community Participant

I'm disappointed, but not at all surprised, to see that there's no mention at all of open-source availability of New Quizzes in either this post or the official timeline. I've had many conversations with Instrucutre PMs and senior leadership over the years regarding New Quizzes and open-source Canvas, and have been assured that you plan on open-sourcing it, but no concrete commitments beyond that. (e.g. this thread, with the response from @erinhmcmillan).

Now that you have a timeline for retiring Classic Quizzes, can you please state, for the record:

• will New Quizzes be available to open-source Canvas users (recognizing that yes, we'll need to do work to run the backend infrastructure that the LTI relies on); and
  • if yes: when exactly will New Quizzes be available to users of open-source Canvas?

If the answer is "no", I would appreciate a direct answer as to why.

wesley_dunnavan
Community Member

Hi,

Did you mean to say that Student Analysis is available in New Quizzes in your response to the last question? If so, can you specify where to find that? I currently only have Quiz/Item and Outcomes. 

Thanks! 

ctsang
Community Member

Our institution has an ongoing issue in which the new quizzes are not transferring over into subsequent sessions or classes. If this new transition goes through while this error is still occurring, it will leave our faculty very vulnerable and frustrated if they have to recreate "New Quizzes" each semester.

Is there any news about this issue being resolved?

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

I have the same question as @venitk about bulk migration. Could you please elaborate on this such as who does it, when, and how? Is it done at the course level? At the subaccount level?

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@Sylvia_Ami and @venitk Thanks for raising this! It probably makes sense for me to lay out the content migration pathway in another post, to provide all of the important details. 

@lindalee I understand how critical blueprint syncing is, particularly to users in the K12 space. The Quizzes Team has planned Blueprinting sync so that the latest anticipated date, including Q&A would be the month prior to ceasing Classic Quiz Create. However, Blueprint syncing is listed as a milestone. Therefore, if Blueprint syncing is not functioning at that time, the cutover will be pushed back. 

@ctsang You should not have to recreate a New Quiz for subsequent classes. If you haven't already, please submit a support ticket so that Instructure can investigate your specific situation. 

venitk
Community Champion

@SuSorensen thanks for making a separate post about Bulk Migration! That will help us a lot.

If you could also respond to the Respondus question (haha, see what I did there?) that would be great. If there won't be a way to import questions using a Respondus-like tool, then we will need that information as far in advance as possible because that affects hiring decisions (as in, will we need to hire student workers to manually type in and extract each quiz question rather than using Respondus to do it in 5 minutes). Not being able to use Respondus may also move up the timeframe of a few projects we currently have scheduled for next year.  

Even just a status update of, "we're not sure, may have an answer by XXX," would be helpful. 

BenFriedman
Instructure
Instructure

@mmyers3 and @wesley_dunnavan - I'm the new Outcomes Team Product Manager and will be working closely with @SuSorensen and @jsailor (the prior Outcomes PM) on Outcomes connections as we move to New Quizzes. We are currently researching options to address migration of outcome alignments from Classic to New Quizzes. This requires some investigation because while New Quizzes aligns outcomes by item or quiz, Classic Quizzes aligns by Question Bank. Once we’ve completed the research phase, we’ll be sharing options for how to address this situation through Customer Success Managers and guidance documents. Stay tuned :-). 

DL1919___
Community Member

I share everyone's concerns that classic quizzes will be deprecated so soon as we have little info on the roadmap of new quizzes when it comes to the API for example, and we keep on finding issues with it, a recent example the item banks visibility in sub-accounts causing us a real headache and security issues. This access does not seem to be controlled by the permissions.

New Quiz results : can we export in CSV? 

When is the API available? 

Will Instructure address the problem in NQ  that accessing the assessment description in the Instructions pane is tied to when the student is able to start the quiz (i.e. based on the Available From Date and Time)? We are required to publish the assessment task to students at least four teaching weeks before the task is scheduled to be completed by the student. Accessing / publishing this information is completely different to actually being able to ‘start’ the exam/quiz, but in the Canvas New Quizzes tool, the two actions are linked. 

There doesn't seem to be a defined roadmap for NQs as we have been asking our CSM for it for months. We plan everything a year in advance so with a less than perfect New Quizzes and a July 22 deprecation of classic quizzes, we need seem to be cornered in a less than comfortable spot. 

mjennings
Community Champion

Hey @chofer and @venitk 

As a Respondus user myself, I have found that while there is not direct importing from Respondus to Canvas for New Quizzes, you can change the personality to QTI and save the exam file as a QTI and then import that into New Quizzes. It takes a couple of extra steps, but it is better than re-typing all of the questions. Hope this helps until a more elegant solution can be developed.

venitk
Community Champion

@mjennings @chofer 

Thank you, that's much better than typing everything manually!

Do you happen to have a solution for exporting the quiz from New Quizzes? 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@DL1919___  The 2021 Roadmap Priorities are here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Quizzes-Planned-Priorities-and-Roadmap-2021/ba-p...
and the Sunsetting Classic Quiz commitments are here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Classic-Quiz-Sunset-Timeline-Subscribe/ba-p/4709...  -- this one lists when APIs will be available publicly. 

I am entirely open to feedback and redirection of priority. So far I have not heard a high degree of interest in moving assessments/quizzes description away from the availability time compared to other items. 

venitk
Community Champion

@SuSorensen  In the bulk migration post, could you also address what's going to happen with surveys (graded and ungraded)? Will those be bulk migrated? How will they "live" in New Quizzes?

Perhaps that information has been put elsewhere and I've missed it, so if anyone else knows, I'm all ears! I just created a bunch of graded surveys that form the crux of the formative assessments in a couple courses, so if graded surveys are no longer going to Be A Thing, I'll need to come up with something else. 

mjennings
Community Champion

@venitk @chofer 

You are welcome.

No good solution for getting out of New Quizzes yet. Our plan as of right now is that we will be exporting all of the Classic Quizzes down to QTI files so that we have a version for faculty to work from. Then any changes are managed on the Respondus side. The biggest hurdle to that is that is the question types that are not available (hot spot, stimulus, etc.) and would still need to manually created in New Quizzes. 

Hopefully, when the public API become available, Respondus (fingers-crossed) will quickly adopt them to fill this need. Frankly, if they can't do that, we may have to drop the license because there will not be much cost/benefit to continue using it. But if they can adapt, it will solidify them with our university for some time.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@venitk There are not currently plans to specifically implement a Respodus like import. Those things may be possible through partners like Respondus later with the public APIs. I'm really not sure.

New Quizzes will support content movement from Classic to New, QTI imports and API Get and Post actions. I do anticipate the ease of moving content to be a priority for 2022... but can't say definitely until we do more long range planning beyond the CQ to NQ transition. 

ssungerank
Community Participant

@SuSorensen Will new quizzes have a password option?  I don't see that they have one and this will create huge issues for proctored exams, as they can't be locked down. I understand in my last question you said it was up to Proctorio, but we also do face-2-face proctoring that requires a password as well as zoom proctoring that requires a password.  

grahamb
Community Participant
Steven_S
Community Champion

@SuSorensen  I think @DL1919___ 's comment about showing students instructions is very relevant.  There is an expectation that students will be provided with instructions describing what to expect before that actually begin a quiz.  In new quizzes, the instructions display at the top of the page with the questions after the quiz (and timer) have already begun. This might actually be resolved with your latest update, because I see the pre-quiz page in your demo includes the instructions from within the quiz.  Being able to display the same instructions before and during a quiz is the same function as classic quizzes, and so that should meet the needs of most instructors.  It would be nice to also show the instructions on the post-quiz page (after clicking "return") which was also normal behavior for classic quizzes.

Specifically, not being able to see instructions while locked is consistent with the way canvas treats discussions, and that behavior is helpful in that this allows last minute updates before access is released to students.  However, instructors with a need to share additional information before a quiz or discussion unlocks can easily do so be preceding that assignment with a canvas page that provides instructions and then says "click next to begin."  Modules also allow the quiz or discussion to be indented below the instruction page.

lthompson2
Community Participant

I'm struggling with the Bondankers blog post.  By framing it in context of this Q&A as a reason to not seek parity, it seems to dismiss the needs of teachers as "bodankers" without looking at the problem and providing a solution or at least a reasonable explanation for why it's not happening.  It also doesn't tell us clearly what features of classic quizzes are considered "bodankers".  For K-12 teachers, the two biggest issues with New Quizzes are 1) Accessibility, which seems to be partially addressed by bringing in the new RCE to allow inserting media for recording questions, etc.; and 2) Partial credit on matching and all of the other multiple answer questions.  This has been a problem since the very beginning, back when it was Quizzes.Next, and not New Quizzes, and numerous Ideas have been submitted in the community to fix this, and yet there hasn't been a fix.  The all-or-nothing grading just isn't feasible.  It creates more work for teachers because they have to manually regrade each of those questions, and it causes panic in students and parents because the grade shown is drastically lower until the teacher has a chance to correct those scores.  "Innovation" shouldn't be a step backwards, and this is the main feature keeping teachers from switching to the New Quizzes.  If that's not a feature we have in the next year, a significant number of my teachers will revolt and just refuse to use it, which would be a big shame after all the progress they've made in the past year, and if Canvas isn't going to provide that, our technology committee will probably start looking elsewhere for products that can do that.

Other features that aren't clarified here or any of the linked posts but that would improve the user experience:

• Make editing a quiz easier.  Different parts are accessed in different places, and it almost seems like it's hidden.  Classic quizzes was much more intuitive, whereas my teachers, even those who have been using Canvas for years, get frustrated trying to get to what they need after the quiz has initially been created.
  • Accessing SpeedGrader needs to be easier.  For everything else, it's linked right there, but, again, this seems hidden, and having to access through the grade book is much more cumbersome. 
  • Grade book icons for quizzes the teachers still need to manually grade.  This is probably the least important but it was a really nice feature.  When students submit assignments, discussion board posts, and classic quizzes with an essay question, there's an icon in the grade book to indicate it's not graded yet, and that also prevents scores from going over with an SIS grade book sync.  Yet with new quizzes, the score is the score, even if the teacher needs to go back in and grade the essay questions, and that leads to grades sent to the SIS prematurely, which gives the illusion of a lower grade.

If some of the functionality issues, especially the partial credit, can be fixed, I think New Quizzes will be a great improvement over Classic.  We really love the new question types, but after several years without any significant improvements, I'm not particularly hopeful.

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

@ssungerank Yes. New Quizzes has the option to "Require a student access code."  In the quiz, click Build, click the Settings tab, then scroll down and you'll see the option. The following guide explains the access code setting: How do I manage settings for an assessment in New Quizzes? 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@lthompson2 In the context of this post, I'm just responding to the concept of parity. Let's shift the discussion to getting the important changes in; as you've already started to do! 
The priorities of time consuming improvements are discussed here for now - Quizzes Planned Priorities and Roadmap 2021

You'll be happy to hear that partial points/credit expansion is on that list. 

I'm also hearing that one of the ways we can support you through this change is an updated list of what we are planning to have in place when the transition happens and what may not.  I am working on an update and will post in the next couple of weeks. 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@grahamb I can only echo what has been said in the past. Instructure does still plan to open source New Quizzes. although it will likely be very intensive to run locally. The timing of which is not evident to us at this time, since we are still working through more broadly applicable critical needs. We will continue to support a quizzing engine for Open Source.

cpadavano
Community Contributor

The one concern I heard is that NQ may not have the survey ability. I know that this will throw off some users of Canvas in our university (Arizona State) as programs use the surveys to get feedback/non-quiz-type assessment and then provide an automatic participation score to the students once submitted, rather than needing to grade/review all submissions individually.

I can see this an issue if the survey option is not available since this is integrated into the Canvas Gradebook rather than using a 3rd party source where the scores will then need to be manually added into Canvas. 

Is there a way to build or click an option for students to receive points once submitted so it can be a participation allotment rather than a right-wrong answer selection?

memrys
Community Member

@SuSorensen, can you clarify what makes New Quizzes 'very intensive', or what makes it have a higher server load than Classic? Looking at the two, I don't see any obvious differences that would necessitate significantly higher server requirements than the older design.

hesspe
Community Champion

@SuSorensen I think you and Shaun under-appreciate the impact that change has on people who are just trying to get their work done.  I suspect it's because you don't have to work with thousands of people using Canvas on a daily basis.  In December 2022 either you or I are going to discover that we have grossly mis-appraised the situation.  I keep thinking of New Coke and the Edsel.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@memrys just speculation on my part after seeing universities self- host other microservices. For example, NQ has deploys on the Canvas LMS, API and LTI to coordinate so that a build works correctly as well as communications across the live-events handling. 

grahamb
Community Participant

@memrys New Quizzes, along with most of the other microservices that Instructure is creating instead of building into the core monolith, depend on specific AWS services, so it’s not going to be simple for most self-hosted sites to run. 

Rebecca_A
Community Member

@SuSorensen - Can you comment on the practice quiz feature of classic quizzes and how that will be transitioned to new quizzes? I manage a community language program for which students need to know their level placement before they register to take a class. Until they register, they won't be issued a Canvas login by our university. For this reason, it's vital that our students be able to take a placement exam before they register and receive a Canvas login. We've created the placement exams for our languages in one Canvas course and set it to be publicly available without a login. In order for students to be able to view the quiz and receive an auto-graded score, we were instructed to build these using classic quizzes, as practice quizzes aren't available yet in new quizzes. It seems our solution will be ok until July of 2022, but I am motivated to use new quizzes in order to not have to transition and be able to use the newest/ supported features. Can you provide some insight and guidance? Thanks!

mpboyer
Community Member

@SuSorensen Hi, thank you for the information on the timeline. I wanted to share with you how the current timeline is problematic for our use case. We offer 10-month courses that currently rely on Blueprint and Proctorio. We would have already moved to New Quizzes except that neither is supported. Looking at the timeline, Blueprint sync coming on so late (2022/6) combined with Prevent Classic Quiz taking (2023/3) is not going to work for us because that is only 9 months. I would hope that you all will reconsider the timeline you are proposing. There really should be a full year of lead time for a widely used feature like Blueprint. For users who do not follow traditional semester schedules, we need a longer lead time to make a change of this scope in our courses.

venitk
Community Champion

I think @mpboyer makes a great comment that I suspect isn't really understood by most people who aren't higher ed admin or IDs (at least, I certainly didn't "feel it in my bones" before I started working as a higher ed ID). Turning around a major change in months is 😨. Agree with a full year being more doable.