Sam McKnight's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

How long is a refresh token valid?

With OAuth2 authentication, you receive an access token and a refresh token. I know the access token is valid for an hour and after it expires you use the refresh token to obtain a new access token. ...

09-07-2022

API for system health status

Are there any APIs we can use to check system health and service availability like what is shown on the status.instructure.com page? We are hoping to have our internal system monitoring tools monitor...

08-15-2022

Data export files have data from wrong tables.

The past two mornings, a subset of files in the data export contain data from the wrong tables. Later in the day, we notice that the exports have been corrected. We use the CLI tool to download and u...

04-02-2020

Are unpacked request table filenames unique

Once the Canvas CLI has downloaded the gz files for the requests table, there is an alphanumeric identifier appended to each file name. I'm working on a way to shorten our data load time on the reque...

07-22-2019

submission_comment_participant dim and fact

In the v1.17.2 schema docs, the descriptions for submission_comment_participant_dim and submission_comment_participant_fact both say  [Deprecated] This table is based on a table in t...

12-01-2017

How did our requests table get so big?

We've had Canvas for a few years and have been working with Canvas Data for a while now. At the start of November, our requests table had 44 million rows and great at a rate of about 250K rows per we...

11-10-2017

Count assignments using Turnitin external tool

Most of our external tools are activated at the root account level. The question I have been asked is how many assignments use a particular external tool (in this case, Turnitin). So there is an assi...

03-27-2017