Assigning a Google Doc to Canvas Groups

katie_rhodes
Community Explorer

I need to create a group assignment using a Google Doc I've created. How do I do this? Assignments won't allow you to assign an External Tool to Canvas groups and Canvas Discussions was too slow of a process for my students to collaborate in real time. I would use Canvas Collaborations and simply copy/paste my Google Doc template into the students' Doc that gets created, but I have cross-listed my courses and don't want to make 31 collaborations every time I want them to do a group activity (yes I have a course with 31 groups - one cross-linked course with 4 sections broken up into groups of 3 students).

If I create a new Canvas Collaboration and add all 31 of my pre-created Canvas groups into "Add Collaborators", will that assign the collaboration activity to the individual groups or will ALL ~90 students be collaborators on the same document?  PLEASE tell me it is the former and not the latter.  I CANNOT possibly set up 31 collaborations for one single assignment and then copy and paste my template 31 times.

There has to be a simpler way to push out a Google-based assignment to a Canvas group so that neither I, as the teacher, nor my students have to click through multiple steps.  

Labels (1)
Users who also had this question