Rubric Creation & Criterion Ranges

mcmaguire
Community Participant

With assessment, we know that Rubrics are not grades.  I appreciate the opportunity to use the Canvas Rubrics tool, as it can be a good guide for students to know about how I assess components (criteria) of an assignment for determining  that assignment's overall grade.  I find it helpful for papers, especially.

An issue/question comes up for students and me.  When I am creating a Rubric via Canvas, "Course Rubrics," I use the option of:  Criteria/Description of Criterion/and I check the box for, "Range."  Next, I enter the values for the "Range," of the criterion via "Ratings."

When students and I go to the "Assignment," the Rubric appears with each Criterion and the Range I entered.

The confusion comes in with the Canvas Gradebook.  While I take the time to complete a Rubric for each student's paper submitted, choosing the Ranges that best apply to the student's abilities to meet each criterion, those same criterion are represented by a single point total, and not a Range - as I had intended.  Understandably, students are confused when the Canvas default single point total for each criterion appears to be different than the final grade they earn for the assignment.

Perhaps I am not creating the Rubric to function in the way I intend it to:  providing a range of criterion assessment that will help me to determine an assignment's overall grade.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Users who also had this question