Learning LTI with Atomic Jolt & a Noobie

sonya_corcoran1
Community Contributor

LEARN LTI WITH ME, A NOOBIE!

I'm an educational designer turned web developer. Since there's no such thing as a silly question, I thought I would share all my questions on LTI to help others learn. Perhaps we can even start an LTI study group!?!

I've been struggling to wrap my head around LTI since starting my new role here at UTS. I'm a junior Ruby/JS dev so there are gaps in my knowledge that I simply could not fill on my own by reading the documentation (even though I have a billion and one times), watching all the instructureCon videos and cloning all of the LTI repos on Github. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I needed some (read: a lot) of hand holding.

Thankfully, I found Atomic Jolt! With the help of the incredible minds at Atomic Jolt , I've finally started to understand LTI line by line. I thought I would share what I've been learning, hopefully, to encourage others to ask questions and continue to collaborate so we can start to build social, engaging, data-driven, interactive activities (think: You Draw It )

So here goes, I'll continue to add/edit this original post with more questions I had for @justinball and his team. Chime in at any time to add yours.

Cheers

Sonya

PS. A million thanks to Justin, for his patience, generosity with his knowledge and excellent teaching skills. LTI is hard but it's so much fun learning ALL THE THINGS!!!

Meeting 1: How do I get started with the LTI Starter App & Pass a Grade to the Gradebook

Atomic Jolt LTI Starter Ep. 1: Getting started with the Atomic Jolt LTI Starter App - YouTube

GitHub - atomicjolt/lti_starter_app

Meeting 1.5: How do I setup ngrok?

Atomic Jolt LTI Starter Ep 2: Using ngrok with the Atomic Jolt LTI Starter App - YouTube

Meeting 2: How do I add my LTI tool through the Rich Text Editor (Ruby)?

Atomic Jolt LTI Starter Ep 3: Content Item Example - YouTube

GitHub - atomicjolt/content_item_example

Meeting 3: Discussing scaling LTI apps for future planning. (aka The Widget Dream)

No resources for this one, instead we discussed the functionality we will require in our future apps (i.e the things we would like to build). My widget dream consists of highly interactive data-driven in-line widgets dropped into the RCE (rich content editor).

The Widget Dream [0:46 sec] – is pretty much inspired by the NYTimes and Guardian narrative journalism interactives and Chinn and Brewer’s (1980) use of use of anomalous data in learning. Using formative feedback to inspire big impact learning.

Need to know Functionality

• Basic LTI Launch
  • Creating Content item LTI (using Ruby and React)
  • Injecting HTML into the RCE
  • GET/POST to the API data via the RCE.
  • Grade passback

We discussed scalability and maintainability using AWS Lambda, Atomic Jolt are doing some incredible work here (stay tuned). We also spoke about integrating the Learnosity Assessment Toolkit and utilising their 55 (and growing) questions styles to add to our bespoke builds.

Meeting 4: How do I add my LTI tool through the Rich Text Editor (React)?

React Ep. 40: LTI ContentItemSelection With React - YouTube

Meeting 5: Inserting images and HTML into the RCE using an LTI (React)

Use React with LTI Content Item - YouTube

For funsies

Any time I learn something new, I try to build something small and fun with all that learning!!! So after all of my "learndings" with Justin, I spun up this speech recognition app in 50 lines and 5 mins. G'wan the internet!!! Not specifically LTI, but from little things, big things grow #javascripting30 #2017comeatme

Say the Magic Word - YouTube

Labels (1)