How do I grade an assignment submission in the Teacher app on my iOS device?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Jul 25, 2017Last modified by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Oct 23, 2017
Version 6Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

The menu tab within each assignment allows you to easily grade assignments, including grading with a rubric, view previous submissions, and leave comments.

When you are finished grading an assignment for a student, swipe left or right to view other student submissions.

The images in this lesson are shown for a phone display, but unless otherwise noted, tablet displays mirror the same steps.

Open Course

Open Course

In the Courses tab, tap the name of the course you'd like to view.

Open Assignments

Open Assignments

Tap the Assignments link.

Note: All assignment types can be viewed in the Assignments page, but submissions can also be viewed in the page for their respective assignment type.

Open Assignment

Open Assignment

Locate the assignment and tap the name of the assignment.

Open Submissions

Open Submissions

Tap the Need Grading status link [1].

Note: If you want to filter submissions by a different status, tap the Submissions link [2] and apply the filter in the Submissions page.

Open Submission

Open Submission

Locate the student's submission and tap the name of the student.

Open Grades

Open Grades

Tap the Grades tab.

Add Grade

Add Grade

Tap the Add icon.

Enter Grade

In the grade field [1], enter the grade for the submission according to your grading standard (i.e. points, GPA).

If you want to excuse the student from the assignment instead, tap the Excuse Assignment link [2]. Grades in excused assignments are not calculated in the student's total grade.

Tap the OK button [3].

Use Rubric

View Rubric

If you added a rubric with your assignment, you can use the rubric to help you score the student's submission.

To view the rubric short rating summary, tap and hold the rating number [1]. To view the long description, if any, tap the View long description link [2].

To view multiple criteria in the rubric, you can adjust the height of the grades window by tapping and holding the menu bar [3].

Use Rubric for Grading

If you selected the rubric to be used for grading, you can automatically apply points to the submission grade.

Once you have entered a score for a rubric, the rubric score cannot be removed.

To select rubric points, tap the rubric score [1]. Selected criterions will be highlighted.

To add a custom score not included in the criterion options, tap the Add icon [2]. You can add a manual grade for the criterion.

Note: If your rubric is not set to be applied for grading, you can still tap the points for each rubric criterion, but but you'll have to add the points manually and enter them in the grade field.

You are here
Table of Contents > Courses > How do I grade an assignment submission in the Teacher app on my iOS device?

Attachments

Outcomes