Use Studio to Create Feedback in Speedgrader

(15)

Integrating Studio with Speedgrader would improve the user experience and enhance learning. Narrating feedback while showing student work is incredibly impactful, but the media recorder in Speedgrader does not allow screencapture. I

ntegrating Studio with Speedgrader would facilitate creating meaningful feedback for students, and it would allow teachers to create "microlessons" that they could include with assignment feedback. I can copy and paste the links to videos into the comments, but it does not create a true link, so students have to copy and paste into their address bar to access video feedback. The whole user experience could be enhanced by integrating Studio. 

18 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@LeneW-P ‌, thanks for sharing this idea. We've opened it for voting as a companion idea to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3986-screen-capture-with-audio-as-a-comment-option" modifiedti..., which is not specific to Studio.

carrie_madden
Community Explorer

For schools using Studio, it would be ideal to allow them to leverage its power for remediation or extension by adding this as a feedback option in Speedgrader.  Having it's use only in pages or as assignments is neglecting the power of this tool for student growth mindset with feedback.

CatePB
Community Member

This would change my marking life. We only just got Studio and I was excited that this may have been an option. Sad that I still have to do it separately.

orra5
Community Explorer

This would make my team be able to grade more easily.

MvonM
Community Novice

The ability to use studio in Speedgrader Feedback would be beneficial to students and teachers alike. It would allow for a higher quality of feedback video using, for example, screen share in studio. It would also allow the feedback process to be more efficient for the instructor. 

lhughes
Community Participant

Badly needed feature! 

ellisonl15
Community Participant

Please do this! In addition to the things the original poster said, it will also allow students to ask questions about particular parts of the feedback.

I've created a feedback video for an assignment and have shared the link with the students in the video feedback, but they can't respond to shared with a link the way they can regular Studio videos. It was disappointing to see that the video option in Assignment Feedback was so incomplete. 

lhughes
Community Participant

I'll add support for this idea (I posted the same question in another thread some time ago).  

jarryb
Community Member

Agreed! The screen capture feature here would be so helpful for showing/discussing student work, much more so than just the webcam.

fbrenner
Community Member

This would be a great feature.  It would make the feedback so much more useful for students if I could explain something while I shared my screen with them.

kona
Community Champion

PLEASE!! This would make it a LOT easier to provide feedback to my students when grading! Right now my process is that I'll be in Speedgrader and want to make a video showing/explaining something to a student. I have to go to another tab to open Studio, get it ready, make the video, let it finish, then get the link and copy it into the comment box. This is a lot of steps and often I'll just type out what I want to say because it's too much of a hassle to make the video. Yet, I know students would really benefit from the video!! 

bryan_tayman
Community Explorer

Agreed.  Several teachers have asked me about this.   We all believe a screencast would be a much more effective feedback tool than webcam video in many cases.  I also wanted to add my support for this one!   

KeikoTE
Community Member

I also agree that a screencast will be useful when providing feedback. 

Also if we were able to attach a video in our Studio Library in the assignment comments that would assist so much. I have many "common mistakes explained" kind of short videos and I would love to be able to attach the relevant ones to each student. 

Denham
Community Participant

For subject areas where the assessment is not written or video, but is instead submitting a file for a specific software application (consider subject areas such as: 3D modelling, game development, programming, accounting)

This would be HIGHLY valuable, and make it easier to clearly link the feedback to the submission.

RaeJobst-GU
Community Participant

I am thinking that this would also have the advantage of having the opportunity to enable captions... 

Denham
Community Participant

ok that's a great observation Rae! so important for feedback to students to be accessible. 

decrementor
Community Novice

Studio integration with SpeedGrader would be AWESOME.

The biggest problem for me is that SpeedGrader's attachment system limits media lengths to 500MiB (a tiny size by today's standards). For a modern H.264 video, this is roughly equivalent to 15-20 minutes of video.

Integrating Studio is probably hard, but upping the file-length limit for media comments is comparatively easy, and would help tremendously.

For time based media, which many more students are submitting now than in the past, video feedback is vital to show the students how the experience they created works or does not work.

In the interest of sharing a tip: For video-based feedback, I have been using OBS Studio (https://obsproject.com/) for many years, and uploading the resulting video as a comment attachment in SpeedGrader. Making "Let's Play" style videos for feedback works VERY WELL, saves hours of time typing up comments, and students love my direct verbal feedback, facial expressions, etc, all at the same time that they can see me interacting with their work. 

Thanks!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.