Secure testing window option in quiz settings

In our previous LMS, teachers could give a quiz in "kiosk mode" that prevented students from opening another tab in their browser to search for answers. This option would be extremely helpful in establishing test security for higher-stakes quizzes or benchmarks tests.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

19 Comments
Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Does this option prevent students from opening other browsers? (I have never used such a feature so I'm wondering how it works)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

There are also Partners​ that specialize in Testing Integrity.

Canvas Premier Partner - ProctorU

Alliance Partner - Verificient

Certified Partner - ProctorFree

Certified Partner - Respondus​ (LockDown Browser)   

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Beth,

Not in my experience, no.  With every system I have used in the past that level of lockdown must happen in the browser.

bogardde
Community Participant

It would be helpful to have a nice basic kiosk mode set-up that we K12 districts could utilize - many of us can't afford putting additional monies into buying the Partner extras...

bogardde
Community Participant

In our state testing kiosk mode, if a student tries to open another browser, it kicks the student out of the test, which alerts the teacher. Then the teacher has the ability to manually place the student back into the test.

tdw
Instructure
Instructure

As has been said here a couple of times, kiosk mode is really more of a browser or even OS-level feature.  When I was an LMS admin for another LMS we used the built-in JavaScript "secure" mode- but this really only operates in the window/tab to prevent copy/paste or opening new tabs from a link.  Users were still free to open a new tab, window, browser, (or have their cell phone in their lap :smileyplain:).

Eventually we switched to Safe Exam Browser, which is an open source browser for Windows and Mac designed for secure testing and we were very happy with the results- and I've heard it works with Canvas.  For iOS devices we enabled Guided Access during exams.

As far as the cell phone in the lap goes, well that's an instructional design / classroom management discussion for another day :smileysilly:

bogardde
Community Participant

What would you suggest with chromebooks?

tdw
Instructure
Instructure

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Chromebooks, but it looks like they do support kiosk mode.  That might be worth investigating.

bogardde
Community Participant

Yes, Chromebooks can do kiosk mode. I was hoping you'd have knowledge of a kiosk freebie for them

168487_pastedImage_0.png

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We are considering a variety of feature ideas for quiz security; however, building a locked-down browser is not a part of that plan. ProctorU has stated they are "working on solutions to accommodate every platform." This idea is also beyond scope for our initial release plans of the Modern Quizzing Engine. As much as I would love to implement this idea, it is not something may be able to accomplish in the near term.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

mark_vanorder
Community Participant

I would like it if the quiz locked on change of active screen. If a student gets locked they could come and let the instructor know. The instructor could optionally unlock the screen but the forced interaction would allow an important conversation to occur.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

noeln1
Community Novice

It would be AWESOME to have a setting where students couldn't navigate to another tab/window on their computer when taking a Quiz/Test.  Not sure how Google Classroom does this, but they have a setting like this and it was great to keep everyone honest.  

AmandaMoss
Community Novice

Allow teachers to lock the browser while students are completing quizzes.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community. Because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored for Classic Quizzes, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!