[Canvas Data] Add Student Quiz Submission Responses (especially essays) from Quizzes.Next to Canvas Data

We are taking a hard look at our new curriculum and trying to ask some questions about how and where to make improvements. As such, we're looking for a lot of information about what questions students are missing across different copies of the same courses (9th grade science 1st quarter vs 9th grade science second quarter). Because not all sections of students learning this material are in the same Canvas Course, course analytics are limitedly useful and not powerful enough to give us what we're looking for.

We would love to see Canvas Data return all information for each student submission. Our ideal would be: student/course/section/date and time along with the quiz log information - what was selected at what time for each question, any changes in answers - and then what answer was submitted as final, and what was the correct answer if it was wrong (except on essays). Some of this is available piecemeal through courses, but the biggest stumbling block is essay questions. Currently, we have no way to mass pull student essay responses, flagged by course/assignment, to aggregate the data for our course completion surveys into larger groups by master course. We are aware of a few work arounds and vendors that do this, but we would like a solution directly in Canvas.

Added to Theme

11 Comments
asatkins
Community Novice
Author

lalevesque​, Does that cover your request accurately?

lalevesque
Community Contributor

@asatkins ​ This is correct.

In its current form, Canvas Data provides high-level information about Quiz/Assignment submissions - Submission time, score, attempt, etc. We think it would be even more useful to be able to see what students selected in quizzes for those submissions.

The goal for this is to be able to identify which quizzes, question types, and questions specifically are helpful or stumbling blocks for our students in order to gather information about areas in the curriculum that need to be reviewed or that work well. In the current iteration, Canvas Data will show us what quizzes are difficult for students, but to effectively design them we need to know the 'why?' as well.

Also, capturing the information students submit for essay questions would create a solution for end of course surveys and help us aggregate what students are saying about their experiences.

More data = better information!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

jennifer_cramer
Community Novice

Consider voting on this topic, too: " style="color: #2989c5;

kmeeusen
Community Champion

@asatkins ​ &  @lalevesque ​:

I support this feature request, and have voted. The more data we have on student responses in demonstration of learning, the better able we are to fine tune our curriculum. I note that you are K-12, but this information is equally useful in HigherEd.

KLM

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a great idea that I can agree is very important. 

I have some bad news and some good news.  First, the bad news.  This is not a feature that we will be able to implement with the current quizzing tool.  Canvas Data has moved into maintenance mode when it comes to current quizzes.  Our new development is focusing on the data that will be available with the new Modern Quizzing Engine project. 

Now, for the good news.  This is a feature that we will be exploring with the new quizzing tool.  However, that is still a ways off.  We will be archiving this idea until it is in development, or we need more information.  Please continue to add your use cases in the discussion!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

Steven_S
Community Champion

Currently, we have no way to mass pull student essay responses, flagged by course/assignment, to aggregate the data for our course completion surveys into larger groups by master course.

This part of your idea is closely related to one I have submitted recently.  Instead of wanting to aggregate all essay responses, I just want the first step - the ability to download essay responses.  For my classes the goal is to have the ability to use a plagiarism checker to scan responses without cutting and pasting one student response at a time.  Since downloading essay responses would bring you one step closer to the aggregation you seek, you might like: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15635-download-essay-questions 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New