[Gradebook] Add, Create, or Modify a Calculated or Total Column in the Gradebook

Being able to calculate things in the grade book beyond adding things up or weighting and adding seems like an absolutely necessary feature.  It seems like one of those that comes up repeatedly under various guises, but keeps getting archived.  But, I keep reading that there are lots of people who do more than just add things up to calculated grades.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

85 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @thomas-rietz ​, and thank you for submitting this feature idea, and I can see you have done your homework on this one.

Since you are already familiar with the feature idea you referenced, and participated in that discussion, I won't be an old bore with my opinions.

I will recommend that this idea open for voting during the next period. Priorities and needs change with time, and perhaps this time more up-votes will happen.

KLM

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

ICYMI,  @thomas-rietz ​, the ability to create an assignment (and thereby add a column to the Gradebook) that doesn't count toward the final grade is currently in beta. [Edited to add: This piece of the feature idea was subsequently removed.]

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Annoyed I missed this first time as it definitely has my vote. Our MFL Dept would like to move their Shared Gradebook to Canvas from Excel!! Not possible at the moment as they need to carry out averages of key grades across different components. More functionality for calculations in the gradebooks would be amazing!

kona
Community Champion

@GideonWilliams ​, did you see Stefanie's comment that this feature is currently in your Beta Instance of Canvas and should be in production by August?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kona  ,  @GideonWilliams  : Well, part of the feature is... Smiley Happy The feature currently in beta will allow the user to add an assignment that doesn't count toward the final grade, and of course that assignment will populate the Gradebook with a column. If I'm reading the original idea submission correctly, it actually encompasses two separate ideas, one of which is covered by the beta feature--but the other, to add a calculated column that is in essence going to function independently from the Gradebook, is not. [Edited to add: The first piece of the feature idea was removed.]

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Indeedy. Assignments not added to the Gradebook is a really good start and compliments the existing feature where you are able to create groups of tasks ;o)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@thomas-rietz ​

Thank you for resubmitting this idea.  It will open for voting with the September cohort.

I did remove the additional note in your idea which prompted Stefanie's reference.  We require all ideas to be focused and individual, so to move it forward for voting, we had to remove it!  ( I would have had you submit it as new, but as you saw, it is in beta)

rozhussin
Community Novice

I vote up!!! x100 times!!!

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. August 3, 2016 - Wed. November 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

thomas-berry
Community Novice

That is exactly the reason why am using Excel and not the gradebook to calculate grades. I only publish "raw" scores of assignments or exams in the gradebook and tell my students to ignore everything else in the gradebook.

With the proposed changes the gradebook might actually become useful.