Frequently email addresses used in Canvas bounce emails while admin are completely unaware this is happening.
- people start using other email addresses and close the previous one
- people change email addresses because their name changed because of marriage
- people change jobs, the old address is terminated and a new one created
- the university disables the university student email account for inactive students
- new mail is rejected because the mailbox completely full
Currently Canvas does not (yet) offer a way to proactively identify these problems, while teachers assume all their students receive notifications of e.g. announcements, assignments, etc. as configured in the notification settings.
Let Canvas keep a record of every bounce email returned when sending notification emails to users, containing the data:
- user id
- email address
- primary address or not
- date and time of the bounce
Add a report in https://institution.instructure.com/accounts/1/settings#tab-reports containing this data from one year max in CSV format.