cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abunag
Surveyor

Canvas to Banner Grade Passback?

We're looking into the Canvas to Banner grade passback, but we've run into a bit of a snag.  We have users with different grading schemes in the same section (some with traditional A-F grades, others being pass/fail).  Anyone with a similar arrangement actually implement the Banner grade passback?

Thanks.

9 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @abunag 

We don't use grade pass back (bummer), but you might be able to find your answer here https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/grade-pass-back 

Good luck!

KLM

Unfortunately it seems that group is not for Banner, only for Skyward and PowerSchool.  It looks like others have posted asking about Banner with no response.  Thanks anyways.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@abunag ,

At NMSU, we let faculty do a Canvas to Banner SS pull of the grades using the Grade book API.  We enable the grading scheme in all academic courses at the beginning of each semester (using the grading scheme API).  We then set it to the standard A, B, C, D, F scheme.  Faculty are free to change it if they want.  Then, when the faculty member logs into Banner SS and they choose either Midterm or Final grades a button will appear on the page that allows them to pull the Current Grade column for mid term and the Final Grade column for the final.

Robbie

@abunag  I am very sorry for that. Not using pass back, I had never investigated that group!

Looks like  @Robbie_Grant ‌ found this conversation, so all is not lost.

KLM

Thanks  @Robbie_Grant ! I really appreciate your help for Anthony!

I sent him off  on a wild goose chase.

KLM

Ok, but how do you deal with people in the same course with Pass/Fail instead of traditional A-F grades?

@abunag ,

Pass-Fail is handled manually in a course that it is needed.  Once the grades are pull oveer fromo Canvas to banner, the instructor can then go in and modify the grades.  If the grade that is required is not in the Grading Scheme (like Pass/Fail) this grade will have to be manually set.

Robbie

Anthony,

We have a few high enrollment courses that are pass/fail instead of the traditional A-F scheme. If the instructor publishes, they will get an email reply with the error: ORA-20100: ::Grade not valid for section and a link to our knowledge base article with a description of the error. The instructor will then know that they have to manually enter grades or change their schema to pass/fail with the proper codes that Banner expects.

Shane

jharr189
Surveyor

We have a Canvas to Banner grade submission form the also uses the Canvas Gradebook API. To handle Pass/Fail and other grade modes, we receive a data feed from Banner for each enrollment that includes the grade mode for that enrollment. The letter grades that are allowed for each grade mode are stored in our database. Our grade submission form uses a default grading scheme unless the instructor has created a different one. Additionally, there is a drop-down box for each student on the grade submission form that allows the instructor to choose a different letter grade for the student. The drop-down box is populated based on the grade mode for the enrollment record. For a more detailed explanation with screenshots, see our faq: How can I upload final grades from Canvas to Banner? - UNC Charlotte FAQ - UNC Charlotte