[ARCHIVED] How do I integrate Quizzes, Outcomes and Learning Mastery?

johnb
Community Participant

Dear All,

John here – new to Canvas and this community and looking for some help understanding how to integrate use of Quizzes, Outcomes and Learning Mastery in Grades.

Please find below a detailed description of what I have done (Steps 1-8) and the questions it has raised (in purple italics).

Apologies for cross posting to both the ´Outcomes´ and ´Quizzes´ group but I wasn´t sure where was the best place to locate this query. (Is there a protocol around placing questions?)

Many thanks for your time on this.

jb

Quizzes – Outcomes – Learning Mastery in Grades

To test this functionality, I followed the process below:

1. In Outcomes I represented my Programme Learning Outcome (PLO) as an Outcome Group and called this PLO1- ´Use the four basic operations of arithmetic´.
  2. Within this Outcome Group/PLO, I created 4 sub-outcomes: LO1.1 ´Add numbers´, LO1.2 ´Multiply numbers´, LO1.3 ´Subtract numbers´ and LO1.4 ´Divide numbers´
  3. For LOs 1.1-1.4, I used the Canvas default settings (see Figure 1).

Figure 1

Figure 1

My understanding of the rubric in Figure 1 is that in order for a student to demonstrate ´Meets Expectations´ for this LO, they need to accumulate 3 points from course assessments that are aligned with this LO. Is this understanding correct?

4. I next created 4 questions banks in Quizzes. I named each bank per my 4 LOs (see Figure 2)

Figure 2

Figure 2

5. I then created 3 questions (1 point each) that assessed each LO and aligned those questions with the relevant LO (see Figure 3). I set mastery at 60% (the Canvas default).

Figure 3

Figure 3

I am unclear what ´mastery at 60%´ means.

• Does it refer to 60% of questions in a particular quiz?
    • If so, does this mean that a quiz can only assess one specific outcome? Is it not possible to design a quiz that contains questions aligned with several outcomes?
  • Does it refer to 60% of the points available for a particular LO (in my example 3 points – 3 questions x 1 point each)?

Scenario A: So, to demonstrate Mastery of each LO, a student needs to answer 2 of the 3 questions correctly (60% of 3 points = 1.8 points). Is this understanding correct?

Scenario B: Let´s say that I decide that LO 1.2 – ´Multiply numbers´ is the most challenging outcome for my learners to achieve so I decide to give them additional opportunities during my course to demonstrate their achievement of it. To that end, I offer them 2 Quizzes, each with 3 questions (1 point per question). To demonstrate Mastery of this LO, a student now needs to answer 4 of the 6 questions correctly (60% of 6 points = 3.6 points). Is this understanding correct?

• What does this mean in terms of the rubric in Figure 1 which states that ´Meets Expectation´ requires 3 points?
  •  Do I need to keep track of how many question points are aligned with each LO and manually update each rubric to reflect this?

• In the case of Scenario A and B above, does this mean that the rubrics for LO1.1, 1.3 and 1.4 would need to be ammended as below

Figure 4Figure 4

and that the rubric for LO1.2 - ´Multiply numbers´, would now look like this?

Figure 5

Figure 5

6. Next, I created a Graded Quiz. The Quiz had 4 questions – one per LOs 1.1-1.4. Therefore, there are 4 points available for this Quiz (4 questions x 1 point per question).

7.  Then I acted as a Test Student and took the quiz, answering all questions correctly.

8. When, as the student, I check my results in Learning Mastery, I see that I have achieved a score of 5/5 for LOs 1.1-1.4 and, therefore, have mastered all of these LOs and by extension PLO1: ´Use the four basic operations of elementary arithmetic.´

Figure 6

Figure 6

For the life of me I don´t understand how this is possible given that each question is only worth one point. Please help!

My sincerest thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Best Wishes,

jb

Labels (2)