Enrollment state on grade export report

Jump to solution
tprus-ncsbn
Community Member

Hello,

I am relatively new to Canvas. I am trying to find out who has dropped out of which courses in the past. On the Grade Export Report under Account Settings, I see that there is an enrollment state column. I am confused by the meaning of the values in this column.

• active clearly means that the user is (was) active in the course, and looking at the People page for these courses, these are the users listed as Students. All of these users have a current score and a final score.
  • deleted is not clear to me, these students are not listed on the People page for these courses. Some of these users have a current score and a final score, some have only a final score, but most do not have either.
  • concluded is not clear to me, these students are not listed on the People page for these courses. Some of these users have a current score and a final score, some have only a final score, many do not have either.

I would expect the deleted value to mean that this user was deleted from the course, perhaps by themselves, perhaps by the teacher.

It is the meaning of concluded that confuses me the most, none of my institution's courses are concluded. I have not been able to find a way for a student to be concluded, only a course.

Regardless of their status in this report, all the users still exist in Canvas.

Can anyone help define these terms and tell me which ones are important to consider when counting dropouts?

Thanks

Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @tprus-ncsbn,

I think you have the general definitions pretty much correct:

• Active: User is currently enrolled in the course
  • Deleted: User was active in the course at some point but was removed at some point (either through SIS, a user with permission to remove others, or a self-disenroll in certain courses).  User has no access to the course.
  • Concluded: User was active in the course at some point, but enrollment was concluded (either through SIS or a user with permission to conclude enrollments).  User may still have read-only access to the course.  Grades remain available to users with grade access (and optionally enabled in the gradebook).
  • Inactive: User was active in the course at some point, but enrollment was set to inactive (either through SIS or a user with permission).  User has no access to course.  Grades remain available to users with grade access (and optionally enabled in the gradebook).

Now with the general stuff out of the way, you will need to determine how your specific institution does things.  Some will change dropped students to "deleted" status, while others (like mine) will use the "inactive" status, and still others might mark them as "concluded".  A lot of this depends on university policies and SIS integration options that were chosen at some point.  If your institution did not leave any documentation behind for you, you'll probably need to go get some data from your SIS and then compare that with Canvas data to determine how the different scenarios are handled.

Hope this helps, even if it's not a definitive answer!

-Chris

View solution in original post