How do BOX.com LTI assignment submissions work?

Jump to solution
vanzandt
Community Champion

When a student submits an assignment using the BOX.com LTI integration, is it submitting a link to the file/document, or is it uploading the a copy of the file?

I have always been of the understanding that it uploads a copy of the file, but someone recently posed the question, and I haven't found any good/definitive online documentation from Box.com to explain how their LTI tool works.  From my own subsequent testing, it also appears to be uploading a copy of the file.  I would just like some corroboration from others' experiences, or if someone has a link to a Box.com resource I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks all!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
vanzandt
Community Champion

Here are responses to questions that our CSM was able to get from someone on the Canvas development team. Thank you to whomever that was!  I wanted to share them with the community since I was unable to find this information when I looked for it.

1. How do BOX.com LTI assignment submissions work? When a student submits an assignment using the BOX.com LTI integration, is it submitting a link to the file/document, or is it uploading the a copy of the file? It has always been my understanding that it uploads a copy of the file, but someone recently posed the question, and I haven't found any good/definitive online documentation to support my position. From my own subsequent testing, it also appears to be uploading a copy of the file. I would just like confirmation or a formal statement about how the integration works for student submissions.

Canvas makes a pdf copy of the file/document for viewing in speedgrader so the teacher can annotate on top of it.

1. Is it possible to disable the LTI tool at a course level, even if the tool has been added at an Account level? The instructor wants to disable the ability to use Box as a file upload submission option. In the app menu, it is locked when viewing it at the course level. Is there any way to install it, in an unlocked state?

If any LTI tool is added at the account level there isn't a mechanism in Canvas allowing the teacher at the course level to suppress the tool other than hide any navigation links. The instructor will need to use course policies to govern the use of the application for student submissions and use.

1. Is there a user guide, technical guide, or any support documentation available for the Box LTI tool integration for Canvas?

The documentation we have is located in the tool listing at Eduappcenter. It can be found here: https://app.box.com/s/ib3bzr4nj2vl443wqxtm

View solution in original post