Visibility by Course User Role

jw2546
Community Contributor

We have a resource library of Canvas tutorials set up within a subaccount in our Canvas instance. Non-enrolled users and students only see Canvas Pages and no other type of content. With any page other than the Home page (like, https://canvas.cornell.edu/courses/1848/pages/tutorials), the header-bar-outer-container is pretty much empty and a waste of space. I can remove this bar completely, but that creates problems for instructor and admins trying to edit pages and view the version history. I had found the environment variables is_student and is_instructor on the Home page, but I do not see them on other Canvas pages, so, I cannot call on those to differentiate the roles. I do see that those with editing privileges have variables such as delete_page under PAGE_RIGHTS. I see that unenrolled and student accounts do not contain this variable at all, and, so, was trying to use that, but my code, and similar variations, have not worked. Any ideas?

var HeaderBarOuterContainer = document.querySelector('.header-bar-outer-container');

if (ENV.PAGE_RIGHTS.delete_page !=== 'undefined') {
HeaderBarOuterContainer.style.display = 'none';
}

Labels (2)