Find a Course by SIS Course ID, when given only part of that SIS ID?

Jump to solution
sam_ofloinn
Community Novice

In my custom application, I have a program that successfully searches for and finds a course when given its SIS Course ID. Using this code written in PHP Laravel:

$sis_course_id = $request->sis_course_id; //gets the SIS Course ID
$courseURL = "https://my.instructure.com/api/v1/courses/sis_course_id:$sis_course_id"; //parsed into a cURL request, gets the data from this endpoint with the matching SIS Course ID.

This code works perfectly if I have the precise SIS Course ID as saved in the Canvas endpoint. But it fails if I type in only part of that SIS Course ID, which is what I've been asked to do. Instead of the full course name (e.g "xxx-somePhraseWithNumbers11Here"), they want it possible to search with just a fraction of that (i.e the "somePhraseWithNumbers11Here" part, without the "xxx-" portion.

I've been reviewing the Canvas documentation on the courses endpoint once again, but if what I am looking to do is listed in there as a function, I seem to have overlooked it.

Is it possible to find a course given only part of its SIS ID? Any thoughts would be very useful

Labels (3)
1 Solution
pklove
Community Champion

Rather than the course endpoints, look at the account ones.  This might be of use:

.../api/v1/accounts/1/courses?search_by=course&search_term=xyz

Results will be broader than you want as it searches names and codes as well as SIS IDs.  So you will need to filter the results.

View solution in original post