Set Mute Assignment to "True" by Default when Published

Jump to solution
atia_kabir
Community Novice

I am trying to assign the "assignment [muted]" variable to "True" when canvas first publishes an assignment. At present canvas assigns this variable to "False". Trying to set this as a default value. Any idea how to go about setting the default value of an assignment when it is publishing?

270067_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks,

Atia

1 Solution
RobDitto
Community Champion

@atia_kabir , in my experience there's currently not any way to use the Canvas APIs to make Mute Assignment default to "true."  You're right that Assignments API muted ("don't show grades/assignment feedback yet") is a property of an assignment.  However, in the current design of the UI for Canvas, Mute Assignment must currently be applied per assignment by a teacher or TA who can edit grades; my experience has been that the current API behavior reflects that.

I believe you have found one of these already, but for other non-developers who see this and are seeking a feature enhancement, here's a list of the most closely related currently-open feature ideas:

Also, you may be interested in part of a recorded InstructureCon 2016 session, Gradebook Futures: Kill All the Clicks!, in which the awesome Gradebook product manager talks about a Post Policies feature that -- to me -- might provide a different way to have the effect of a Muted default.  Ideally, Post Policies might be the place which manages this per-assignment muted property as a course-level default.

View solution in original post