error: Forbidden when trying to request a users page views (with role of Instructor permissions)

geinitz
Community Member

I have been using the API to retrieve student quiz data and use it for offline data analysis. This has turned into a useful tool and I would like to develop it even further. For starters, I am currently trying to request a user's page views for my course to know when to give students nudges to login and look for assignments and general course content, if they have not been on Canvas for a while. 

However, I am receiving an error 403: Forbidden. I even receive this error when I use my own user id for a course. 

Therefore, my question is about whether the page_views API endpoint with authorization that can be enabled/disabled for certain users. 

For example, I see that some API calls require admin status, such as missing_submissions

But, for page_views, it does not say that the API calls requires admin status. So, I am wondering if there is a similar permissions issue here, or if I am having another problem. 

Would anyone happen to know the answer to this? Or, perhaps any other suggestions?

0 Likes